Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will they let you on base to scout.I am ready to go today.With only about 70 days left the fever is starting to take over.I hunted the camp 1st time last year seen some nice backstraps.can't wait for this year.:flag:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
They'll let you out there 2 weeks before season opens. Dove season opens September 6th so August 23rd would be the earliest. When you go, make sure you tell them you're dove scouting and not deer scouting. Deer scouting will start Sept 17th.

Their phone # is 212-5282.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Guys, do you still have to drive around and check in at the main gate?
Coming from the Mayflower side sure would be easier.
I guess that will never change if they still do it.

I've never bowhunted the base, but drew ML permits a couple of times. My brother killed a nice buck out there, that we got on video.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Juice,

They still have the Clinton Road gates closed off Hwy 89 and Hwy 365.
They are also doing work at the Main gate. Right now all entrance for just regular guys is through an alt. by the orphanage.

I killed nice ones on the gun hunt and muzzleloader hunt last year.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yes they generally let you go out when small game season opens. Yes you have to go in at main gate,which sucks for me since its right across the road.Word of advice scout several differant places and never leave a stand overnite ,cause they will close differant areas at will. Very Nice bucks have been killed in camp,usally the 2 weeks before thanksgiving they are in full blown rut and the hunting can be awsome.I have hunted camp for 20 + yrs and have killed and seen some very nice bucks. The areas on the west side of camp can get crowded at times but that can help move the deer around.The eastern side seems to be a little less crowded,and they have more open areas.They are in the process of cutting and thinning some of the older growth areas. Camp is an A+ for bow hunting,if you can get thru all the red tape.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've worked out here for almost twenty years. The deer are small, few numbers, overcrowded, unbelievable red tape, they close the areas they see folks putting stands in, too far to drive, speeding tickets, no turkeys, and on and on.................

Nope I just wouldn't do it. No good at all. Probably going to close season.

I always try to tell folks that so I can have it all to my own. If a person is persistant and can go through the rules and regulations. It's is arguably one of the best bowhunting spots in AR. We are starting to get some hogs though. I don't know the rules around them, but I hope they can eliminate them.

Someone above gave some good advice... do leave anything you want to keep. Thieves, thieves, and more thieves. I have had several friends that lost some pretty good gear.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I grew up in Camp Robinson! Learned how to drive out there. I remember when you could go to the range commander and ask permission to sight in your rifle. But now you can't even go there so don't worry about wasting your time!! Good luck on finding another place! :whistle:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will agree with most.. camp is one of the best places to bow hunt period. Its really good at the peak of the rut but when duck season starts i notice that the shots from grassy lake seem to slow the deer movement around especially at the beginning of the season. I like camp bc i work out there and its a short drive from the warehouse to the deerstand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.