Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don’t know man, it just seemed like an arrogant statement. I’m sure you’re best hog hunter that ever lived and have stacked dump trucks of dead hogs. However, animals get to certain sizes based on genetics and environment. Wild hogs are usually just descendants of feral domestic hogs but some were intentionally introduced for hunting like the Russian varieties that get 700lb +

I can’t say whether the hog in OP was that big or not because I wasn’t there. I’m gonna venture a guess and say you weren’t either.
No where did I make any claims about being a great hunter, Ive missed more than Ive killed, but I have been around enough hogs to know that most people grossly over estimate their weights and that I've never seen, shot, or had a buddy shoot, anything remotely close to 500 lbs.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
We kill more than your average Arkansas ******* on my place- typically 200+/year. And I’m not going to say there isn’t a 500 lb hog in AR. But I’ll say this, I haven’t seen but one over 300 lbs that wasn’t barred. From what I’ve seen, feral hogs have to move too much to put that kind of weight on. Most of your boars will top out at 250-275. Got a pic of one that went 396, it was surreal. Need to find that.
Killin that many yall obviously don’t let em get old enough

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’ve killed hogs with a .22 they were close but surely a muzzleloader would kill a hog. And I doubt he would just turn around and come chase you because you shot him. A 500lb pig is a big pig. Placement of a shot is everything!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Yall know I have been told about a man what kills them big ol hogs with nothin more than a wire coat hanger
Id imagine he would learn yuns that a hyper velocity 22 round is more than a fella needs for hog meat.
A nice Arkansas Jim Bowie is also very effective on the biggest of hogs
Pffffffft, 7

·
Registered
848 Posts
I hunt Camp Robinson often and have seen some big hogs. But nothing I would say was close to 500lbs but I’m not saying the op didn’t see one that big.

·
Premium Member
26,462 Posts
I kill a lot of hogs - with an arrow, a .22 mag, a .308, and a .450 Bushmaster. To be honest, just considering those hogs that run off after a well placed broadside shot, I see very little difference in how far a hog runs after the shot - with the exception of the .450 - which tends to considerably cut the distance they run. A well placed chest shot on a deer will often initiate a hell bent for leather dash until they die. Many hogs will run off fifty to a hundred yards and stop and fight it. There used to be an open forty acre field behind my place that I had permission to shoot hogs. I have probably killed over 100 in that field - probably half with a .22 mag. I have shot many in the crease of the leg, halfway up on the chest, and cant remember one that ever made it out of the field. Most of those shots were 100 yards or a little farther. None of them ever weighed close to 500 lbs. A big one where I live is 250. The biggest I ever killed is 338. One at 278 - and hundreds from 250 on down. I have seen several what I would call big hogs - but never one I thought was approaching 500 lbs. But I know feral hogs that big have been documented

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That boar that I talked abt earlier in the thread was taller than the Honda 350...thought he was a black angus calf across the field til I got closer. I wouldn’t have ventured closer but I was wondering why the calf was out there without its momma. That boar was almost as fast as my 350

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
We killed a sow that was 900 lbs and 8'-11" long. That's what happens when you're 17 years old and stop having babies on the hog farm!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts