Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting deer on Camp Robinson yesterday, and I saw a MONSTER Hog! At first I thought it was a large black bear, but when I scoped it I saw that it was a hog. It had to be close to 500lbs. It was the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in the woods, besides a moose! Since all I had was my muzzleloader, I opted not to piss it off by shooting at it. I was wishing I was somewhere else with a HP weapon.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
My neighbor works for Camp, part of his job is trapping hogs. He said they are tearing the shooting ranges and drop zone areas up. He also told me they are some bigguns out there.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I've seen a wild Asian boar in Texas on my grandpas land that was around that size. I thought he was a calf that had strayed from his momma but then when I got close I realized what he was. Found myself busting up a whole herd of those things. The 200-300lb sows running with him weren't too shabby themselves. I was riding a four wheeler at the moment only armed with a Ruger 10-22 so I didn't try and tackle him. His tusks were every bit of 6+ inches. I went back to the house to try and get my AR. I later found the herd in the woods but couldn't maneuver through the woods like they could. They quickly out-distanced me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Sucker was every bit of at least 400+lbs...was every bit as tall as my Honda 350 and as long as the wheeler as well. I pulled away from chasing him and went after the lil piglets and began dropping them left and right. Was so fun...lol

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don’t know man, it just seemed like an arrogant statement. I’m sure you’re best hog hunter that ever lived and have stacked dump trucks of dead hogs. However, animals get to certain sizes based on genetics and environment. Wild hogs are usually just descendants of feral domestic hogs but some were intentionally introduced for hunting like the Russian varieties that get 700lb +

I can’t say whether the hog in OP was that big or not because I wasn’t there. I’m gonna venture a guess and say you weren’t either.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We kill more than your average Arkansas redneck on my place- typically 200+/year. And I’m not going to say there isn’t a 500 lb hog in AR. But I’ll say this, I haven’t seen but one over 300 lbs that wasn’t barred. From what I’ve seen, feral hogs have to move too much to put that kind of weight on. Most of your boars will top out at 250-275. Got a pic of one that went 396, it was surreal. Need to find that.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I was hunting deer on Camp Robinson yesterday, and I saw a MONSTER Hog! At first I thought it was a large black bear, but when I scoped it I saw that it was a hog. It had to be close to 500lbs. It was the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in the woods, besides a moose! Since all I had was my muzzleloader, I opted not to piss it off by shooting at it. I was wishing I was somewhere else with a HP weapon.
I had a WMA hunt a couple weekends back and saw something similar. I didn’t think anyone would believe me. But now that I have read your story, I will share mine.

I was still hunting along a ridge top on an old logging road. I came around a slight bend in the road and I thought there was an Angus bull standing in the road. But upon further inspection I realized it was a huge boar hog.

This hog must have weighed at least 600lbs. I thought about shooting him but realized I only had a 270. LJ had warned me before that 270s only just make them mad and will not penetrate their rib cage. So I just held still and hoped he didn’t notice me.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had a WMA hunt a couple weekends back and saw something similar. I didn’t think anyone would believe me. But now that I have read your story, I will share mine.

I was still hunting along a ridge top on an old logging road. I came around a slight bend in the road and I thought there was an Angus bull standing in the road. But upon further inspection I realized it was a huge boar hog.

This hog must have weighed at least 600lbs. I thought about shooting him but realized I only had a 270. LJ had warned me before that 270s only just make them mad and will not penetrate their rib cage. So I just held still and hoped he didn’t notice me.
.270s should come new from the store with a free tracking puppy.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My grandson shot a barred hog last year that he and his fellow college athlete with help from an old man could not move. We finally managed to get his head upright for pics. Not sure how big he was but his nose looked two feet long and he was longer and an ATV. HIs belly cleared the ground by about 4 inches. His legs were like stumps.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts