Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a little late this year , not getting any good bucks yet . Moved some cameras , added some salt to the mineral sites . No stands out yet , mowed 1 plot that was dead , but after the rain about a 3rd of it had clover coming up . Going to mow the other plot that had weed/grass ( 10" ) over running the clover next week ,give it a couple days and spray it ( not planting till Sept ) . Just to hot to do much .

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
I've been running cams since early June. Bucks are just now showing well on their horns. I've gotten a few borderliners, no real bonified shooters yet, but I've seen a few off of the road---and so has everyone else. Last year I started getting some decent pics in August of a nice buck. I hope he survived. The area he was in reached the buck quota on the opening weekend of the season, but he didn't get big being dumb. I've gotten does and fawns. A few dink bucks. 1 coyote. Maybe I'll get some cool yote or bobcat or coon pics or something. I have 4 cameras hung, 3 of them within about 2 miles of each other and their 3rd about 30 minutes north of me in a "set" I inherited from a friend who's moving. I'm gonna let them sit this weekend and check again next weekend. I have Friday off. It'll be nice.

Reactions: emerson

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thinking of just skipping cameras this year. Inflation is starting to put a crunch on us here. Hate the thought of even buying batteries for all of 'em much less keeping feed in front of them. I've hunted this property for decades. I already know where to go.

·
Registered
31,404 Posts
I have been getting almost nothing on salt this year. Salt is usually at least halfway decent - not this year - really nothing. The bucks are on corn as soon as I put it out - as long as it isnt under a feeder
Wait wait wait. I thought salt was the only way according to our resident expert?

·
Premium Member
29,938 Posts
Wait wait wait. I thought salt was the only way according to our resident expert?
For sure not this year at my place. I have a 15 yr old salt lick two hundred yards from where I have been pouring out some corn - six bucks are regular visitors on the corn when it is there - not one of them has visited the salt lick - white 50 lb salt block and 50 lbs trace mineral salt freshened up the site this year - as usual. There have been a doe or two. Never seen such intermittent use of a salt lick.

·
Registered
347 Posts
For sure not this year at my place. I have a 15 yr old salt lick two hundred yards from where I have been pouring out some corn - six bucks are regular visitors on the corn when it is there - not one of them has visited the salt lick - white 50 lb salt block and 50 lbs trace mineral salt freshened up the site this year - as usual. There have been a doe or two. Never seen such intermittent use of a salt lick.
Glad I’m not the only one, not getting salt pics. Only a few does and scrubs in last month for me…

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Not running any cameras yet trying to save a little on batteries , going cost a couple grand to plant food plots and fill the feeders first time . Had as many as 12 deer in the yard 2 nice bucks but normally every buck killed was ever seen till around mid October

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Yall must be buying nice batteries. I run cheapo Dollar Store or Amazon batteries and they'll last me at least 2 months. With how I run cameras that's enough.

Now gas to get to and from the cameras...eeeeeesh...

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Poured here up until the 11 th of june. Deer didnt use my salt in May or June either. Maybe too wet?
I think it’s been well established that your deer herd is unique and special and doesn’t respond to the same stimuli as all the other deer. They’re probably just intimidated by your musk. Maybe start having someone else put your salt out for you so you don’t scared them so bad.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Yall must be buying nice batteries. I run cheapo Dollar Store or Amazon batteries and they'll last me at least 2 months. With how I run cameras that's enough.

Now gas to get to and from the cameras...eeeeeesh...
I use Procells mostly.
About $7-8 for a 24 pack.
Camera uses 12 at a time and I usually get a month or better from them depending on where my camera is set up.
I’m going to need to replace them this Friday when I’m down though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts