Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a Moultrie trail camera for a couple of years. I like the fact that the infrared sensor will not detect smaller game, such as squirrels and racoons. But here lately I have not been getting any pictures from this camera. I took it down and brought it home to check it out. It seems to work fine other than the fact that it will not detect me until I get about 3 feet from it. That isn't very practical for me to use in the field. I thought about trying to remove the white translucent plastic cover over the sensor and replacing it with a clear piece of plastic and using silicone to seal it around the edges. Do you think that would work? I only paid about a hundred for the camera and have gotten good use out of it up until the last month or so. Is it done, or would you try what I am proposing?

·
Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner
148 Posts
that cover over the sensor needs to be there.. it has to be something different...mine does the same thing in the summer time but works good in the winter when it is cooler...

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
To me, it sounds like you've got nothing to loose by trying it. Your camera is certainly not dependable the way it is now. Maybe we'll all learn something. :thumb:

.270Win

·
Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner
148 Posts
That white translucent plastic cover over the sensor has a little more to do with the pir sensor than you think..with out it you will not get a pic unless it licks the sensor...do a search for PIR Fresnel Lens so you will see what that cover does...

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,804 Posts
I have a bottle of plexi-glass cleaner/polisher, you might try that and some elbow grease....but I wouldn't mess with trying to take it out....in temp changes like we been having, condensation is a serious problem.....you could try an insulated box with plexiglass front cover...that way if the weathers goes from 20 degrees to 50 and back.....your camera will be in a position to change more gradually....possibly defeating the condensation factor. I borrowed a camera, and it was having the same trouble....I folded a paper towel and put it inside to soak up any condensation and it worked a lot better.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I think I will just let it sit in the house and dry out for a while. I cleaned all the lenses real well with q-tips and lens cleaning cloths, but it didn't do any good. I have some Meguiar's PlastX that I buff out my jeep's plastic windows with, I may try buffing the lens up a little with that and see if it helps.

I can always mount my camera about 3 feet from my feeder and see what happens. :confused:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,804 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I will just let it sit in the house and dry out for a while. I cleaned all the lenses real well with q-tips and lens cleaning cloths, but it didn't do any good. I have some Meguiar's PlastX that I buff out my jeep's plastic windows with, I may try buffing the lens up a little with that and see if it helps.

I can always mount my camera about 3 feet from my feeder and see what happens. :confused:
No, don't use it on the lens.....but rather the sensor.....And as for letting it dry out, that only took about 30 minutes on the camera I was using, and it immediately began taking pics. I put the paper towel in to wick any moisture out that might form and it took 124 pictures that same night.:wink: I think there is a necessary need to use dessicant bags in any cameras that come out in the near future...there needs to be room inside the case for it though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant the fresnel lense, not the camera lens. But after reading wikipedia, that might not be a good idea either.

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
908 Posts
Don't use a clear peice of plastic for the fresnel lense. This 'milky white' lense acts as a funnel to the pir sensor.

There used to be 'fix instructions' on here somewhere. If you go to pixcontroller.com you can get another fresnel lense that is supposed to work better. I will see if I can find the instructions and post the link when I get the time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Ordered the lens. It is now $3.00 + $5.25 shipping.

Still cheaper than a new camera!!! :thumb:

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
908 Posts
Update: Ordered the lens. It is now $3.00 + $5.25 shipping.

Still cheaper than a new camera!!! :thumb:
That is the problem with ordering anything that is cheap online. You pay more for the shipping than you do the product.

Let us know how it turns out. I was going to do 'the fix' to my camera but somebody jacked it before I got around to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the first thing i would do is replace the nickel size internal battery, I think i had the same prob as you are having and i replaced the small battery and it was ok after that. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is the problem with ordering anything that is cheap online. You pay more for the shipping than you do the product.

Let us know how it turns out. I was going to do 'the fix' to my camera but somebody jacked it before I got around to it.
They gotta eat.

I still would rather pay the shipping than buy another camera.

the first thing i would do is replace the nickel size internal battery, I think i had the same prob as you are having and i replaced the small battery and it was ok after that. just a suggestion.
As long as I'm in there, I might as well do that too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts