Camera for the stand

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by deltaeta, Dec 20, 2010.

1. deltaeta

deltaeta Well-Known Member

Looking for a decent camera to take pictures from my stand. Want to take pictures of the deer that I let walk. Would like to have a pretty good zoom. Don't want a $500 dollar setup and not a regular digital one. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

3. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

I have a kodak with 10x zoom but it's only 6.1 megapixels. It's a couple years old and was a really good camera when I got it. Now you can get a 14 megapixel cam with 3x zoom for $100. Crazy! Don't get me wrong, I've taken some nice pics with it and it does pretty decent out to 150 yards or so. My mom has the next version of my camera and it's 7 megapixels and 12x zoom.

I suggested Nikon because a guy in one of the magazines I read recently brought up how Nikon supports the hunting industry (same company as Nikon scopes). I had never thought about that, so my next camera will be a Nikon

4. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Good point!! :thumb:

5. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

I read an article about the new Canon Powershot sd4000. It's supposed to do real well in low light conditions, which you really need in the stand for those early morning and late evening pics. I've thought about checking into it but Mrs. Clause said not this year.......
    :alright:

6. smokey1

smokey1 Well-Known Member

If i were going to buy a point and shoot Nikon camera i would get a Nikon Coolpix P100, its a 10.3 megapixel with a 26x optical zoom. Optical zoom is much better than digital zoom. The digital zoom degrades the quality of the photo. a lot. I have been shooting Nikon for years and never had a problem.

7. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I carry a little, old Sony S40. It's just a puny 4.1 megapixel with a 3x optical zoom, but I've only got about seven bucks in it off eBay and haven't got around to hacking it for a game cam yet. :thumb:

8. deltaeta

deltaeta Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input, I'll check these out.

9. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

I just got a Rebel Cannon to take pics in the stand. It is awesome. I have some pics posted in Campfire.