Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today to do some work and pulled cards while there had 4 little bucks ( spikes ) and 2 doe , this place always has spikes , once they get big they move off and more small bucks replace them I guess ? The spots I burn this spring looks bad so I put some 13-13-13 on them and the little spring plot while there . What I'm want to try is feeding soybeans , does anyone know where I can buy them NE Ar. area ?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what the spring burns look like after 2 months or so . Hoping for better cover .

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
I agree with turkman. I have done a number of thinnings - and after I mark the trees, I stand back and look at all the paint on the trees and think dang it, I didnt leave enough. After then logging crew gets done, I think dang it, I didnt remove enough. I just had a hack n squirt job finished. There was 1400 stems per acre and they were supposed to remove 1200 stems per acre - everything under 6”. This was in an area that had been clear cut mid to late 90’s. It takes a lot of canopy removal to encourage forest floor plant growth.

·
Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
10,543 Posts
I agree with turkman. I have done a number of thinnings - and after I mark the trees, I stand back and look at all the paint on the trees and think dang it, I didnt leave enough. After then logging crew gets done, I think dang it, I didnt remove enough. I just had a hack n squirt job finished. There was 1400 stems per acre and they were supposed to remove 1200 stems per acre - everything under 6”. This was in an area that had been clear cut mid to late 90’s. It takes a lot of canopy removal to encourage forest floor plant growth.
Did you sub that H&S out?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Emerson, I dont know about the soybeans. It's hard to tell the whole story on these pics but it looks to me you need to open up the canopy to get more of the sunlight you need to reach you goal of more cover.
-Yes I done it with the leaves off and when the trees leave came , I saw that it was not what I was thinking . The soybeans I was going to try and feed the small bucks so they might make it to be enough to shoot ( 3point ) .

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks and yes you are both right . I have another spot on the other side of the land that I went in and cut about 80% +/- for a bedding area and you almost not walk through it , next spring going to cut trails in it . The spot I'm showing is on a food plot edge.

·
Super Moderator
9,564 Posts
The biggest deer kills transposes straight over the top of a soybean production map. It won't make them grow extra points per say, but the protein in beans does produce healthier, better-racked deer.

Reactions: emerson

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Curious why you think soybeans will help them make it to at least 3 point rule? Am I understanding that right?
Yes , I'm thinking because they are higher in protein that it would help in antler development ? Couldn't hurt and I'd never tried feeding soybeans before , Hoping I could find a farmer that had some from last year that they would sell .

·
Registered
18,965 Posts
Yes , I'm thinking because they are higher in protein that it would help in antler development ? Couldn't hurt and I'd never tried feeding soybeans before , Hoping I could find a farmer that had some from last year that they would sell .
Are your deer in Greene county ?

·
Registered
18,965 Posts
Gotcha, unless you just wanted to feed soybeans but you're in an area that doesn't need much protein help. A good majority of bucks will locate toward the soybeans right now that's growing and you'll see your young bucks all over. Those mature bucks will find their preferred soybean field and hang around that most of the summer. Occasionally they will take a trip back to their rutting areas and they may lick on the mineral licks and then leave for another 2-3 weeks. But they will stick around those growing soybeans. So the idea of feeding your young bucks has some merit but I don't know if you will see actual results. I just think you have some good deer you just ain't see them maybe. But every piece of ground is created differently. Unless you were running say 8 cameras per forty acres year-round and still not seeing deer that meet the 3 pt rule, I bet you are missing them. Or your area is being hunted hard around you and most of your 2 1/2 yo deer are being killed. Also, remember a spike the first year is not an inferior deer at all.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotcha, unless you just wanted to feed soybeans but you're in an area that doesn't need much protein help. A good majority of bucks will locate toward the soybeans right now that's growing and you'll see your young bucks all over. Those mature bucks will find their preferred soybean field and hang around that most of the summer. Occasionally they will take a trip back to their rutting areas and they may lick on the mineral licks and then leave for another 2-3 weeks. But they will stick around those growing soybeans. So the idea of feeding your young bucks has some merit but I don't know if you will see actual results. I just think you have some good deer you just ain't see them maybe. But every piece of ground is created differently. Unless you were running say 8 cameras per forty acres year-round and still not seeing deer that meet the 3 pt rule, I bet you are missing them. Or your area is being hunted hard around you and most of your 2 1/2 yo deer are being killed. Also, remember a spike the first year is not an inferior deer at all.
I'm thinking when the deer get bigger they move off , don't know why but there big woods on both sides of me . And they both have clubs lots of stands . I've not hunted this area in years , but the old man that use too never said anything about a lot of shooting , he never kill anything either so ??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts