California Lead Ammo Ban

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by Mr. Chitlin, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
  2. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

If some idiot can think it up. It seems to be made into law.

3. wildhog62

wildhog62 Well-Known Member

All because of a big bird that they are afraid will contact lead posioning. What a crock! :smack:

4. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what a box of 100 brass bullets will cost?

5. Down on the White

Down on the White Well-Known Member

The older I get the more that I get hit in ways to make me spend myself out of exsistence. And the worst part we do not have the money to fight these bozo's and they know it.:censored: This is the nice version.

6. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    The only bullets on their approved list right now are the Barnes bullets. They are $$$. Search Barnes on Midway or any of the reloading suppliers.

7. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

8. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

You do the math. Here is a clip from MidwayUSA (one of the better priced sellers):

[​IMG]

Notice that the first is for a box of 50, and the second for 20!

I would imagine that loaded rounds would be awfully cost-prohibitive for all but those with plenty of cash...

What I don't get - The idea is to protect this stupid bird from "lead fragments", yet what are the odds of one getting a belly full (what it would take to do serious damage) from big-game hunters bullets? Even with a pass-through, the glorified buzzard (oops, I mean "condor")

would have to either consume a lost game animal (actually, probably several), or practically have to be shot.

And then, further down the list, it discusses .22 rimfire - and the impracticality of banning lead bullets in them. They then go on to say that the .22 is allowed for game hunting (squirrels, rabbits, etc.), but not legal for non-game animals (coyotes, ground squirrels, bobcats, etc.) - with the reasoning being that game animals are generally not left in the field. Umm... small game never gets lost?

Why do any gun owners still live in California?

9. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

There was an article in the NRA magazine a couple of months ago on this, all the scientific evidence said this ban would have no effect on the buzzards. UCLA or USC did the research and said what lead was in the birds was from natural occurring lead and pollution, not bullets. But the powers that be out there didn't listen, instead the wanted to ban bullets to look like they were doing something, no to mention a back door way of further restricting shooting sports. I guess this looks good to the LA, San Francisco and Hollywood crowd.

10. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

So will it be against the law to even have a lead bullet in your pocket? How are they going to enforce such nonsense?

11. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    In the article linked above, the G&F has the right to temporarily confiscate ammo and even the muzzle loader for testing. They also have the right to make you shoot a bullet into a medium that the bullet can be recovered from.

I shoot a 338 Lapua and cannot find any listings at
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/nonlead-ammo-ca.pdf, which
    means I will have to buy custom ammunition or reload them myself. How will the
    warden in the field determine that my ammunition is legal?

A training program will be implemented to familiarize field wardens with legal projectiles.
    It is possible that a warden may seize a cartridge to inspect the bullet under controlled
    conditions at a later time.

How will wardens check muzzle-loading rifles?
    While hunting, any projectile in your possession may be inspected by wardens. On rare
    instances, a warden may seize the weapon for removal of the projectile under controlled
    conditions or fire the weapon into a medium to retrieve the projectile.