Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm considering spending a couple of nights on the Cadron next month, but I don't know much about it. My bro-in-law pointed me to the Shaw Bridge as a possible place to launch and camp, so I checked it out yesterday. Launch is good, water looks plenty deep for my flat bottom, and I can probably camp under the bridge. Best of all, it looks FISHY! The only river fishing I've ever done was for trout, so this idea is pretty new to me and it sounds like a blast.

First of all, has anyone camped there before? Are there any other places I can camp on the Cadron without having to worry about leaving my campsite while I'm fishing? Anyone have any experience camping at Shaw Bridge?

Also, what kinda fishing can I expect? I'm interested in catfish, bream and crappie, and I figure there's plenty of all of 'em in that creek. I'm planning on running a couple of trot lines and a couple dozen yo-yos, but what all should I expect to catch with a rod and reel, and what sort of baits/lures work in mid-late March?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't care to eat 'em, but I've heard that with a hatchet and an electric filet knife those backstraps make excellent catfish bait...

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,594 Posts
I am not familiar with all of Cadron, but have fished the lower stretch between the Arkansas River and the Weir (concrete mini-dam that helps to keep at least some water in the Cadron all the time), and a section just up from that near Hwy 64 (there is a neat place that sometimes has water running in that can literally hold white, striped, and largemouth bass that you can just chunk and reel fish in... but that is only when timed exactly right (haven't been able to time it since I moved away from Conway some 14 1/2 years ago).

Here, from Google Earth, of the spot - I have marked where there is a large pipe that, when the water is running JUST SO, fish stack up from Cadron into this little finger....right at the pipe. I have caught bass in this little hole even when water was not running. It is kind of hard to tell about the spot - this photo was apparently taken when the water was VERY high (almost flooding).

I have also fished the upper part of Cadron. Can be killer in the early summer. While the fish may not be giants, we have taken a canoe, drug down a steep bank by the bridge, and just paddled up and down casting spinner baits - catching as many as 30-50 in an afternoon without a problem. Anywhere from 8 inches, up to about 2 lbs. Pretty fun.

Here is some interesting historical data of the bridge where we have fished:
http://bridgehunter.com/ar/faulkner/cadron/

And here is a Google Earth picture of it (the new bridge is "in-line" with the road, while the old bridge now looks like a detour.

It has been several years, but the fishing seemed to be better above the old Springfield/DesArc bridge there on the Cadron than down stream.

As far as camping... there are not a lot of options that I know about. There is a campground (I think) at Cadron settlement (near where the Cadron runs into the Arkansas River)-but probably not a real good place to camp as the park there has become a common hangout for homosexuals trying to find a "date". It is a crying shame, as that use to be a nice family place....ugh. Also, I don't think the camping/picknick areas are close to the water.

I saw a tent once near the boat ramp at highway 64...but don't know about legalities or implications.

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
Hey battman, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I couldn't get your first or third images to load. Just FYI. :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wes,

I live about 3 miles from Shaw Bridge. I would not leave anything unattended or it will be gone. There are quite a few METHHEADS around that area.:mad:

Put in at the 25 Bridge and go west, there are some good buck brush areas only about 1/2 mile and good structures to fish for panfish. As for the catfishing, this time of year is usually slow, but will pick up in March.

Good Luck!:thumb:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any place to camp around the hwy 25 bridge? That's one of my prerequisites...gotta have a place to cook what I catch! :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wes, no where to camp there. You might look into the launch and camping area that is up the river about 5 miles. I cannot remember the highway, but will get it for you later today.:smack:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I don't care to eat 'em, but I've heard that with a hatchet and an electric filet knife those backstraps make excellent catfish bait...
You hull out those gar and those backstrapos are gooood! They can save a slow trip as far as frying fish.:thumb: That is real pretty white meat and fries up great.:wink:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Oh Yea, forgot to tell you but on the lower creek ,close to the Arkansas River the same 15'' length limit on Largemouth Bass applies. You have to check the regulationns booklet ,but I think it is up to some low water (weir) dam.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup - up to the weir it's a 15" minimum length. The rest is anything goes :thumb:

Brett, are you maybe talking about the hwy 65 bridge? That looks like a great spot, but I'm concerned that if I get down river I may not be able to get my boat back up the rapids. Same concern with the hwy 64 bridge. If there are decent pools right there by the camp site I probably won't go very far anyway, but my boat's a little heavy to pull back up river over rapids :doh: I guess it all depends on the water flow anyway.

What other rivers/creeks are there in central AR that would be good for fishing/trot lines/yo-yos that I can navigate somewhat easily?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you talking about Fishtrap Bridge by the Cove Creek Natural Area? I looked at it on Google Earth, and that might be a better spot, especially if the water's up. I'll have to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the tip Brett!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts