Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am coming up on needing to get some more powder soon. I think I have settled in on a particular one that I can use for a few different calibers. So my thoughts are to go ahead and buy 8lbs of it instead of the usual 1lb containers.

However, you cannot find the 8lb jugs around much anywhere. And while it may be a bargain to buy online, its only a bargain if you are buying several jugs of it to offset any shipping charges (that I have seen anyways).

So my question to those who frequent gun shows is if you can get a pretty good bargain at them buying powder in 8lb jugs. Would it be worth the wait for one to come again to NWA? Or are we talking just a little bit of money here? Whats the going rate for 8lbs of IMR 4895?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have too many local choices. But I might explore them more. I have just heard that you can sometimes get "bulk" powder cheap at gun shows, which come this way pretty often.

I started looking around online and am curious on some jugs of military surplus. Seems pretty cheap, but I guess there are drawbacks also.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Probably be better off to go ahead and order it rather than wait for a gun show and take a chance on being raped. Thankfully I can just walk in Powder Valley and not have those damned shipping and haz-mat charges. :wink:
That rocks! Next time you head to Arkansas... :biggrin:

I did a mass buy a few months back, and it went really smooth. We had over $1100 of stuff together, so shipping and hazmat was nothing. I think it came out to about $.60/lb for powder. I don't remember how much my 8lb jug of Varget was, but it cost me about the same as buying 4 or 5 1lb jugs locally. If you can find just a few guys that need hazmat stuff you'll save big on shipping. If you ever get down around Sheridan you might have member Afterlife place the order for you. He'll give you a heck of a deal and can probably work something out on delivery, or at least meet you part way. If you can find a shooting club up there you can probably buy from them. I know there's one around Branson where my FIL buys stuff for just a little higher than on-line prices.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember a while back, I talked about this topic in some degree. It was when I was first starting to load. Mr. C had the same suggestion about buying in bulk. I do not have anyone I know real good personally that loads a lot or else it would really be the way to go. Also, there are not many gun clubs close by last time I checked. There are some, but they are mainly just shotgun clubs.

But Branson is not too far and the wife and I get up there every now and again, so thats an option.

For me, reloading is a very simplistic hobby. Not one that I want to spend a ton of time or money at, but like to do when I get the chance.

Trying to get the best deal for some powder is just a matter of using available funds wisely for me at the time. I have had the same two pounds of powder for the last two years, and just recently bought another pound of a different powder specifically for a .243 I could not get to group well with either one of the other powders I had. That pound, for that gun, will last quite a few years I am guessing.

But I would like to shoot more, and I know that casting will "afford" me that opportunity. So I can guess that I will burn through some powder pretty quickly seeing how it will be the main expense.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That rocks! Next time you head to Arkansas... :biggrin:
I ever get the urge to wander that way I'll sure holler at ya in advance. :wink: Was just in there a couple days ago buying a few goodies...always makes me wish I had more money. :biggrin: Been wanting to try some of the Wolf large pistol primers so figured I'd get some while I was there...$15.50 a 1000 count...at that price I'll sure try them.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm not sure but it used to be you could ship 4 8lb. kegs for one hazmat fee. The keg of IMR 4350 I bought last spring was $156 at the Tulsa gun show. If you can hold off until April, that gun show is well worth the drive. I bought that keg, 1,000 bullets, 2,000 primers 500 loaded pistol rounds, a set of reloading dies and a rifle at that show. Never paid a dime in shipping and never signed a single form.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Seems I never have enough cash to buy everything I'll eventually need. After spreading my cash as far as I can, I ALWAYS end up being a pound of powder and a couple hundred primers short. Now I need just enough 4064 to load 50 rounds of .308, hate buying a full pound just for loading fifty Ballistic Tips, that is if I can even find a pound to buy!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info and links guys. I went to that GIBrass.com and it seems interesting to say the least. I am not afraid of surplus powder because I am not one of those guys who like to try to push the envelope. I am definitely going to have to give them a call. The Russian 4895 is the main one that caught my eye.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Thanks for the info and links guys. I went to that GIBrass.com and it seems interesting to say the least. I am not afraid of surplus powder because I am not one of those guys who like to try to push the envelope. I am definitely going to have to give them a call. The Russian 4895 is the main one that caught my eye.
A call to Mr. Bartlett won't cost you anything. He may have a 'deal' to offer that is not on his website. I've been pleased with all my dealings with him.
Tommy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts