Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25,115 Posts
Damn, what did I miss? I haven’t seen anyone give an opinion of what your wife killed, just general discussion.

It’s the internet, don’t take it personally.
I was wondering the same thing. Didn’t see anyone attack his wife for what she shot, but thought maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I can see how post #5 could have been taken the way the op took it. That post was a bit out of line, but you know what they say about opinions

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I could have taken it wrong if I did i apologize. It just hit me wrong I guess.
Kinda being a neutral by stander here Steve, I think you picked up on some bitterness and took offense where non was intended towards anyone in particular, but IMO (for what little it’s worth) more so at this knee jerk, we’re all over the place, to be very honest, system we have running the show now, that one has a terrible time even finding a shred of logic in. There is not one thing, and I repeat, not single, solitary thing wrong with a person doing what is legally allowed within the folks rules that are calling the shots. Nothing! Some may seem to be coming down on what is legal there more harshly but maybe it is because at the very same time the same system is putting added restrictions on others, further limiting their ability to take from the resource.

Look at it this way, while in your area now, a button is not even considered a Buck any longer, while not to far from you others are now having to not only not having to go by the 3 point APR any longer to determine if it is a legal Buck, but are under these Sweet 16 reg’s, has to be 15” wide or an 18” beam. And IF you do by chance happen to shoot a button thinking it was a doe cause you cannot see a legal Buck by these enhanced APR’s , your have to burn a Buck tag, thus even reducing your chances at a antlered Buck more.

It’s just a screwed up deal right now for sure. I’m not for sure the folks in charge of the highway even know where they want the road to take us right now. It’s seems kinda like the folks in charge of the right hand lane want to remove all speed limits and restrictions, while the folks in charge of the left hand lane want to keep putting up more stop signs, speed bumps and keep reducing the speed limit. To them the highway serves their purpose, never giving a single thought it causes conflict sometimes for those who travel it, that being us the hunters.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I could have taken it wrong if I did i apologize. It just hit me wrong I guess.
No offense to you or anyone who shoots a legal deer. My qualm is with AGFC who gave the green light for folks to wholesale slaughter deer in zones that can’t support it. Most of the people around were starting to buy into the three point rule and were seeing results.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Steve, congrats on wife’s deer! Some of us take it for granted but deer hunting isn’t easy.

Now, not to get into too many details I’ll give my opinion (fwiw).

Yes in some zones a bb can be tagged a doe. In others it can’t. However, regardless of the law (which seems poorly constructed by a lot of folks) the spirit of the law is obviously to put a lower limit on bucks. Simple reasoning is that they are more sought after and If no limits then the doe to buck ratio would get worse and worse. I think Kemper’s beef is that the spirit of the law says only kill two bucks. All tender meat jokes aside a bb is a buck. With time it will grow into a bigger buck. Simple.

The same idea for people who won’t plant saplings because they’d rather have a tree.

Again, y’all did nothing wrong according to the law and congrats!

On a similar note my 15 year old daughter shot a bb and it was tagged as such. In our zone it counts towards a buck. However, even if the reg book didn’t specify that we have a rule that a buck is a buck because of his testicles, not his headgear. I don’t need the reg book to manage my property. We stay well under the bag limits anyhow.

·
Administrator
73,780 Posts
We don’t allow condescending posts about anyone’s legal harvest. We try to keep an eye out for such posts but sometimes they get by us.

That’s what caught me off guard. I didn’t recall seeing any posts about this particular deer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We don’t allow condescending posts about anyone’s legal harvest. We try to keep an eye out for such posts but sometimes they get by us.

That’s what caught me off guard. I didn’t recall seeing any posts about this particular deer.
Sorry I mistook what he said it was my bad and I apologized.

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
5,129 Posts
Steve, congrats on wife’s deer! Some of us take it for granted but deer hunting isn’t easy.

Now, not to get into too many details I’ll give my opinion (fwiw).

Yes in some zones a bb can be tagged a doe. In others it can’t. However, regardless of the law (which seems poorly constructed by a lot of folks) the spirit of the law is obviously to put a lower limit on bucks. Simple reasoning is that they are more sought after and If no limits then the doe to buck ratio would get worse and worse. I think Kemper’s beef is that the spirit of the law says only kill two bucks. All tender meat jokes aside a bb is a buck. With time it will grow into a bigger buck. Simple.

The same idea for people who won’t plant saplings because they’d rather have a tree.

Again, y’all did nothing wrong according to the law and congrats!

On a similar note my 15 year old daughter shot a bb and it was tagged as such. In our zone it counts towards a buck. However, even if the reg book didn’t specify that we have a rule that a buck is a buck because of his testicles, not his headgear. I don’t need the reg book to manage my property. We stay well under the bag limits anyhow.
Thanks Doc for summarizing the intent of my post better than I could.
Steve, I wasn’t directing my post at your wife at all & should have probably qualified my post better. My frustration is totally with the AGFC ! I was trying to point out that often AGFC regs are NOT in the best interest of a deer herd & by default the hunters in a given area. I have seen over the past 30+ years of hunting what the wholesale slaughter of does has done in many parts of South Arkansas has done to areas that once held lots & lots of deer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Doc for summarizing the intent of my post better than I could.
Steve, I wasn’t directing my post at your wife at all & should have probably qualified my post better. My frustration is totally with the AGFC ! I was trying to point out that often AGFC regs are NOT in the best interest of a deer herd & by default the hunters in a given area. I have seen over the past 30+ years of hunting what the wholesale slaughter of does has done in many parts of South Arkansas has done to areas that once held lots & lots of deer.
I understand i just took it the wrong way and understand what you were saying. I just have a short temper from time to time.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I didn't know that was the new rule in our zone and let a BB go with my bow I'd likely shot otherwise. But no biggie, maybe he'll grow and make a good one some day. I always feel a little sympathy for the BB's anyway. I've gotten to watch quite a few of 'em down thru the years, they're kinda special in a way I guess.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I didn't know that was the new rule in our zone and let a BB go with my bow I'd likely shot otherwise. But no biggie, maybe he'll grow and make a good one some day. I always feel a little sympathy for the BB's anyway. I've gotten to watch quite a few of 'em down thru the years, they're kinda special in a way I guess.
This post kinda makes me scratch my head a little. What is special about button bucks?... other than every single buck on the planet either is or used to be one?

Again, I have no issue whatsoever with people harvesting whatever they want within the regs. I do,however, experience confusion when someone would knowingly harvest a bb yet at the same time insinuate that it would be nice if he grew into a “good one someday”.

Again, harvest whatever you like within the regs. Just don’t forget how the big buck you’re after started out.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
When was this reg enacted? Is it because of CWD??

The reg quoted in post 2 is nuts. Reg says ANY button buck, then contradicts itself below that sentence. Yeah, I see what they mean and that there are exceptions listed, but they should have simply put the two exceptions that are under the general reg statement, and not had the "Any" sentence at all.

Nobody proof reads this stuff I guess.

·
Premium Member
18,964 Posts
The Antlerless Only Modern Gun Hunt is for private lands only not associated with a WMA. ... - Button bucks, or any buck with less than 2 inches of antler, are legal to be harvested during this hunt.Oct 12, 2012

21 - 40 of 42 Posts