Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Oliver, I personally don't have a problem with them burning if done correctly up until about March 20th. After that I do have some issues with this practice not being done correctly or studied enough to know the total outcome and it's effects on re-nesting attempts. With numbers so low right now I can't see how this is a good practice after this date. JMO. I hunt in your area and have for over 20 years. I have family there. I have spoken to the forestry Comm many times about over burning the same places in your area and it looks like they are trying to totally remove any Oak timber stands that may be left there. Kills me seeing this being done. Those early Ice storms there were devastating to the population and they have not had a break since. Many burns I have witnessed on or even after the opening day of season were set from the bottom of the mountain all the way around and allowed to get way too hot on the way up, killing many acres of timber as they went and doing major damage to young wildlife as well. I found fawn tracks in some areas that were burned just days later two years ago. I agree, doing this at that time is not a good practice in my opinion and I will continue to fight this every chance I get till some hard evidence is found to make me think different.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Back in the 80's used to hunt all around Beaver Lake - went up there one morning an the woods were still on fire smoldering stump and such - heard a gobbler - didnt get him but he was working the heck out of that burn - with the ground still hot in places - crazy deal but I think they like burned off woods

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I killed a big gobbler in the 80s 27 pounds 1 7/8" spurs. 6" beard the beard and the chest feathers were burned and melted. I assumed it was feeding out of something burning probably catching escaping bugs.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wish I could burn all the ice storm crap out of our woods. There is so much fuel on the ground I'm afraid it would get too hot and kill the timber we have left.
Actually, ice storm debris provides excellent nesting habitat for hens. It's likely the only reason that Reggie has had a few birds hatch over the last few years on property he hunts despite the torrential rains.

R2G

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
660 Posts
We burned under our pines last winter on some family land. I went back the next morning to check on things and flushed turkeys out of the area we just burned the afternoon before. That was in Febuary. I don't think it should be done during nesting season.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hi, been a lurker for years, may as well post on this one (for what it's worth). We own land bordering White Rock and up until around 2004 we had more and more birds. Since then, like the rest of the state, we have had less and less. I only post because around the time the decrease started I had begun to see major burning on the mountains bordering our land during season, which opened within the first 10 days of April at that time. I would see a lot of smoke and they would have helicopters dropping ping pong balls w/some kind of chemical to start the burns. Even last April, while hunting in the WMA near there, we found lots of fresh burns during the season. Bottom line is, during April, I don't see any way it has helped. It is hard to think it hasn't hurt. I have doubted my thoughts due to the entire state having such a decline recently, but who knows? It can't help to burn in April. I hope we can get back to having more than one or two birds to hunt soon, and either way I think we should eventually, but something is off and I can't help but think this is part of the problem. JMHO

·
Member<br>You Can't Change This Side
533 Posts
Prescribed burns are beneficial in every aspect, if done correclty. They should be conducted in Feburary for wildlife benefits. We started burning our place in Sharp County about 5 years ago, and we have more turkeys than we ever had, and our neighbors are taking note, and they have been putting in fire breaks and burning also. Burning and varmit removal are the top things you can do to help turkey populations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our forrest we r loosing control of..turkey and deer for our grandkids

I Totally agree and cant stand to see the Forrest cutting down our oaks and to thank all they want is Pine Trees and Woodpecker Protection.. ....JMO....it must be the cash flow they are concerned with not OUR Forrest and what God put here for.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I Totally agree and cant stand to see the Forrest cutting down our oaks and to thank all they want is Pine Trees and Woodpecker Protection.. ....JMO....it must be the cash flow they are concerned with not OUR Forrest and what God put here for.
It is sad to see some of the hardwood timber go. I just leased a small parcel of timber ground this fall. It was loaded with mature white oaks and red oaks. Its not too big but I was excited for the deer, squirrel, and turkey hunting. Less than a week later and the ink not yet dry, they started cutting it. That was in September and as of two weeks ago, they were still working on it. They don't notify you prior to cutting either. But, I understand that's part of the deal when dealing with timber ground. The hunting will be good for the future, and probably be good this spring with some green up. The logger told me they are required to leave 1 mast crop bearing tree per acre. Wow!!!....Don't over do it. I know they have rules for creek barriers, but man they cut them awfully close. I would like to have seen that be a wider buffer than what they left. It was sickening to see a wad of white oaks or white oaks old enough to be older than Buck,Thompson, & SwampCat combined :biggrin: cut down.

Oliver Logging,
I am curious with your user name, you are in the logging industry?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Would turkeys fare better with burns or is it that burns early in the year dont hurt turkeys? I honestly dont know. I always thought the more limbs and stuff on the forest floor meant for better nesting habitat. I'm not a bioligist,nor a timber man.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Would turkeys fare better with burns or is it that burns early in the year dont hurt turkeys? I honestly dont know. I always thought the more limbs and stuff on the forest floor meant for better nesting habitat. I'm not a bioligist,nor a timber man.
Yeah, makes you wonder. I understand the concept of clearing the forest floor for new growth, but like you said, how does that affect nesting. I know all things aren't equal with loss if many hardwood stands, but in the glory days of the Ouachitas during the 70s, what was the burning practices? Were the acreage size of burns about the same? I am fairly certain they didn't practice the late season burns we see today, but correct me if I'm wrong. One thing is certain though Buck, massive acreage burns that clear forest floor would create less than ideal nesting habitat. Of course that may depend on how early the burn is conducted. It would be interesting to hear from someone with better knowledge of this subject.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.