Bump Feeder

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Acorn, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

Anyone use a bump feeder and have an opinion about them one way or another? They are pretty cheap and would seem to cut down on the coons, but I'm not sure about the deer catching on? do they ever get "stuck"?:head:

2. I had a buddy that used to build them out of 30 gallon barrels and he swore by them. He built me 1 and i guess the deer then where to dumb to figure it out cause the corn rotted in mine.

3. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

Yea, maybe I could just post the instructions on the side of the bucket so the deer can figure it out. :head: :biggrin:

4. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I used to build them....I used a broom handle suspended through a hole in the bottom of the barrel. It's best to shape the bottom a little so the fine stuff doesn't collect in the bottom but comes out with the corn. They don't get stuck on a broom handle, but sometimes a bigger buck will snap it off. I have a cage around my electric feeder, but the deer still bump the cage.

5. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

we used to use logging chain instead of a broom handle. also put a heavy plastic funnel on the bottom of the barrel.

the very first feeders we had, were three liter coke bottles. fill it with corn, and tie it to a tree. they would kick them all over the place. you get 100yds or so from the stand, and you would know if there was a deer there eating. :thumb:

oh yeah, put peanut butter on the handle/chain to get them trained to move it.

6. KemperCamper

KemperCamper Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

@ Acorn

We haven't had much luck with them. In fact, I put 2 of them out this year a week before gun season and both still about 1/3 full of corn. Our club has much better luck with battery powered spinner feeders or just putting it out on the ground.

7. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Never used the broom handle, but a plate on bottom. I am gathering up free material to build a few. If I get on lease down south That is what I may use to keep using batteries. I may be missing up too.:shrug:..But the plate thing really works well.

8. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I have come to not like the electric/timer based/spinner type feeders. I would either just spread several hundred pounds throughout the area you want to hunt or go with the bump style feeder. I pulled about $600 worth of feeders out of the woods during season several years ago. Because as I was walking into my hunting area, I began seeing a blood trail. Then found someone with permission to be on the property in my stand. Seems he heard the feeder and finally found it. Been hunting just about everyday I was away. You will also go through ALOT more corn with the electric models.

9. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    What did you set your electric ones at? I'm no expert on electric feeders. This is my first year with one, and I'm pretty happy with it. I figure it saves me a lot of corn... plenty enough to pay for itself. I dont set it to throw much though.

10. woodsnwater

Most timers can be set on how many seconds for running time. I got 2 tripod feeders I got built for the boys. Soon as I get timers I'll set them out in August to get deer use to them. Less trips out there to put corn out and regulate what they eat. Don't want to feed them, but keep them interested of the area.

11. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

Different models come with different options as to when to feed and how much to put out. I had several out that year. They feed according to your settings. Not whether it is needed or not. I have seen years that most of my corn just piled up on the ground. Also seen times when I was supporting more coons, squirrels and birds then deer. If you want to conserve on the cost of corn, go with a bump feeder or one of several designs that minimize the corn output. If that is not an issue, it really doesn't matter. But you're still left with the noise of that 'dinner bell'. Don't be surprised if an unwelcomed guest hears it and decides to remove it from your possession. All in all, I find the spreading of corn out in the immediate area the most productive. Deer are browsers and it natural to them to find food scattered out on the ground. But that's just my :twocents:. I see no right or wrong way to put out feed. Just some that are better then others for me.

12. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    ive been using the remington bump feeder from walmarts for several years. the deer know how to use it just fine. have lots of pics that show them actually bumping it. saves a bunch on corn usage.

13. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I treid one for several years but didn't have much look. Wish I would have thought about the peanut butter trick

14. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

Academy has the bump ones for $20 so I think it's worth a try. I'm just tired of the coons wiping out my gravity feeders ever two or three days. I do get lots of deer, but in every picture I've got about 4 or 5 coons as well. I do get daytime deer pics, but never coons in the day so I can't "take care of the problem" easily.

15. legal to hunt coons at night with a dog, kill them coons!:up:

16. Boy If I didn't know you I would really figured you knew your :censored:!
    The peanut butter trick is a true sign of a real redneck!!

17. Catfish898

Catfish898 Well-Known Member

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a piece of PVC pipe suspended in it. Never had a problem with deer emptying it but when the hogs find it they tend to try to destroy it.

18. woodsnwater

I wanna try this: Take a 5gal. bucket and cut 4" hole in bottom. Take hardware clothe ( half inch x half inch ), cover hole and fasten it. Corn will fall out unless the bucket is bumped. A friend told me this.

19. RAZOR_DEER

RAZOR_DEER Well-Known Member

Bears love them, and tend to play tether ball with them. But if Bears are not a problem and the coons dont tear out the staub, then they work well. Especially with PB on the staub. They are cheap and that is a big plus.:up: