Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a problem finding bullet right now? I've looked all over Hot Springs, and other than the prepackaged sabot bullets, can't seem to find any .451 225gr. pistol bullets. I ran out at the range last weekend sighting in a new winchester muzzleloader. Now I can't find any? I may have to go Little Rock.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Don't use wheel weight "lead"! It is WAY too hard for ML bullets. There are some other metals including antimony in them. I used to mold pistol bullets, and mixed wheel weights with pure lead to get the right hardness. ML bullets need to be cast from pure lead.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Don't use wheel weight "lead"! It is WAY too hard for ML bullets. There are some other metals including antimony in them. I used to mold pistol bullets, and mixed wheel weights with pure lead to get the right hardness. ML bullets need to be cast from pure lead.
Completely correct. Pardon me and JR having a little fun there...

Seriously, I've had trouble buying any kind of bullets locally in any quantity, and we're contemplating getting back into casting our own. My bro in law tears down buildings as a side job, and he used to bring us shower pans, roof flashings and other house parts made of pure sheet lead, and those make great muzzle-loader bullets. Father in law throws a few wheel weights in the mix if we're casting bullets for centerfire cartridges, but folks are selling the stuff for scrap, leaving us with none.

Not trying to be a smarty, but as Larry Potterfield says "that's the way it is"

I wish I could help you!

·
Administrator
87,243 Posts
I gave away about 600# of lead wheel weights about a year ago. i sure wish I had them back. I kept about 100# of ingots I had melted. Didn't think I'd ever be getting back into casting.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Do you know what scrap lead is bringing nowadays? The days of free wheel weights are just about over. I know every mechanic and tire shop in town, and they're all selling their scrap now instead of giving it away. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I have a 400 or so pound block that came off a milling machine or some type machine, I think I will save it, I got it for trolling sinkers, but may have to use it for bullets. :smack:
During the American revolution the rebels pulled down a lead statue of King George III and melted him down for bullets. We may have to do something similar in the near future!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.