Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a pic of a Hornady SST and I've marked where a factory round is seated to and where mine are seated to. I've not experienced a problem yet but am I setting myself up for a let down or worse.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
It's been my experience that it's best to put the end of the case mouth close to center of the cannelure. Of course, you need to confirm your case/bullet combination is under the max for case length.

Do you really need the bullet that long, and are you trying to custom fit the cartridge to a specific rifle?

·
Administrator
88,032 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you aren't running the bullet into the rifling, which could cause excessive pressures. You'll actually see better accuracy sometimes with the bullet set just off the lands. As long as it feeds fine in your particular rifle and you are getting the accuracy that you like, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Remember that a lot of bullets don't even have a cannelure.

If I am loading one round for several rifles, then I will seat to the top of the cannelure, and measure to make sure it is within SAMMI spec. Those factory loads have to be able to fit in every factory rifle out there.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm trying custom fit the cartridge to specific rifle. What I did was seated a bullet in an empty case and chambered it to find the lands (a trick xring taught me) and then seated the bullet another .020" deeper. They chamber fine and the accuracy has been good. This is the first bullet I've loaded that has a cannelure and I wanted to make sure I didn't needed it seated into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.