Bullet recommendations

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by jughead76, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jughead76

jughead76 Well-Known Member

I am looking for some opinions on what type and grain bullet to shoot out of my 300 mag for whitetails. I have already been told it's too big for deer but its what im hunting with so. I handled my own ammo so i was thinking of trying some 165 grain speer btsp bullets but i would like to hear of other hunters experience with bullets in the 300 mag, thanks.

2. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I have been told the same thing. I have a 300 wby. I reload a nosler 125 gr bt no tracking ha

3. 45-70hunter

45-70hunter Well-Known Member

Use the same bullet you would use in a 30-06 or 308. That hogwash about being too much gun is not worth worrying about, a 300 wm is not going to destroy a deer. I've hunted deer with a 30-378 wby. mag and it did a tremendous job with minimal meat damage. My personal favorites in 30 cal are 165 or 180 grain partitions or X-bullets.

4. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    I reload 165gr accubonds for my win mag. Very accurate and deadly. I loaded several different bullets for mine and have used some of those on deer. I settled on the accubonds because of the increased velocity in the win mag and the accuracy of them. The speer 165gr should be just fine to use.

5. backstraps

backstraps Well-Known Member

.300 win mag is what I shoot. The best performing ammo I have used is the 180gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. These are absolutely deadly and very accurate.

6. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I would like to try some 130 gr Barnes or 168 gr Berger bullet after I get my muzzle brake put on.

7. Peterbiv

Peterbiv Well-Known Member

I am of the same school of thought. I like the point of impact drop of blood the size of a basket ball.I find they don't go very far. I shoot a .300 WSM with 180gr. Nosler Partitions.

8. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used to have a Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag. I only shot factory ammo out of it (regular old Remington Core Lokt), and I preferred the 165gr bullet. If I remember my ballistic card correctly, it had very little drop and still had loads of energy at 500 yards. I never shot at anything over 300 yards away. I would sight that sucker in at 200 yards and could hold dead on for just about anything I hunted in AR.
    I killed several WT with it and a Bull Moose (in Newfoundland) with those Core Lokt 165gr bullets. They just seemed to fly better for me than the 180gr. I wish I still had that rifle....I let someone talk me out of it. As I got older it sure seemed to kick harder! :)

9. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I would recommend 180 gn boat tails of some brand. I belive the larger bullets are more likely to hold together and not do too much meat damage. They also have a better ballistic coefficient and give better trajectory for long range shooting. Which is the reason for using a 300 magnum for whitetails.

10. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

I shoot 165 gr Hornady btsp, love em.

11. 42769vette

42769vette Forum Sponsor<br>A&A Optics<br>www.aaoptics.com

I have a hard time not loving barnes TTSX bullets.

12. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

I love the Barnes x also, but I agree with some of the others, if your going to go with a conventional lead, jacketed bullet I would go with the 165-180 gr. due to the increased velocity, less chance of breaking up.

13. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Agree.

14. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Select Member<br>Ol Eagle Eye

With a 300 mag they are all going to kill the crap out of a whitetail so I would go with which ever one groups the best.

15. Houdini

Houdini Elite Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner<br>

AR
    Shoot'em in the ribs and it won't tear'em up too much....

16. mhr7

mhr7 Well-Known Member

SIERRA 165 and 180

17. achicks

achicks Well-Known Member

I shoot 150 grain and it seems to drop whitetail just as well as the 180 grain I used to shoot. Plus, it seems to reduce recoil slightly. I have torn up a doe's shoulder here and there with the .300 win mag. But, then again I've wrecked shoulder meat with a 130 grain .270 before.. If you shoot a lot, ammo can get a bit expensive.

Is it overkill? At 75-150 yards, sure its overkill, but so are most .30 cal rifles. If we all shot what was sensible, we'd all be shooting 30/30's.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012