Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Gutshot. 馃榿 Congrats on a good hunt. Looked like u hit the front shoulder a bit? At 60 yards that accubond did some work. Thanks for sharing a great hunt. Hand loads are just as reliable as factory if done right. You did right obviously.

Registered
Nice job. I understood the question. That cow will make some awesome meals. I load several Nosler and C/T bullets for my magnums. At 60 yards that cow absorbed a ton of energy. The ballistic silvertip performs well also as long as it doesen't have to cut through trees before impact with the animal.

Registered
Anyone want to share a case of a certain bullet NOT performing well? I鈥檝e only had a couple of what I would call failures on deer size game.

Registered
I had a Nosler Balistic Tip 270 130 grain鈥ipping around 2900 FPS out of my browning A bolt. Sweet combo, gun loved 鈥榚m. Hunting farm country, I had a bean-fed six point walk up on me. We saw each other about the same time, it wheeled, I found the shoulder but hit to far back and broke it down. Shot one. Second shot was on the deer鈥檚 neck as it struggled, blew a huge wad of hair about the size of a softball. Still trying to get up, third shot had the same effect. Soft ball size hair ball blown, but no apparent effect. Last shot I had鈥.base of the skull did the trick. But then I still cut his throat. Not one of the shots penetrated.鈥hey all did surface damage only except possibly for the last one. Inside of 25 yards鈥.the nemesis of any bullet designed to expand rapidly. Since then, I think Nosler toughened them up some. Accubonds are better but it doesn鈥檛 matter much since you can鈥檛 buy either of them.

Maybe next year鈥.

Registered
Anyone want to share a case of a certain bullet NOT performing well? I鈥檝e only had a couple of what I would call failures on deer size game.
Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. First, there was a LOT of batches that had burrs all over the bullet. But even if perfect, the bullet performance is all penetration and little expansion UNLESS IT HITS BONE, then it is frangible as heck and acts like a hand grenade. I killed a lot of deer with them, but I tracked blood for elebenty nineteen miles without recovery too. Got rid of them and went to a bonded bullet.

Reactions: WillyB71

Premium Member
Winchester Ballistic Silvertip from a 7mag @ about 40yds. I hit a fairly large MO doe square in the shoulder and the bullet blew to pieces. I found fragments all through the insides and from one end of the ribs to the other. Made a nasty bloody mess of things.

I suppose it didn't "fail" since the deer did run off 50 yds and die, but the performance certainly wasn't what expected or wanted. Could of been a one off freak accident too.

Registered
I鈥檝e shot a couple of linebacker local bucks with bullets made for larger/tougher animals that didn鈥檛 open properly. One was a 165 gr Sierra Game King BTHP & one 150 gr Barnes TSX. Both at warm .308 velocities. One was an end to end front to back & one was a side profile behind the shoulder shot. Both deer deer dropped, flopped around for a bit, then got up a ran like scalded apes leaving very sparse blood trails. Both went father than they should & the exit wounds were tiny. Too much bullet IMO. On the other end of the spectrum I shot a plain old 2 1/2 yo 7 point once with a moderate .308 velocity AMax with a perfect side profile shot. Buck ran leaving no blood but didn鈥檛 make it 100 yds. No exit wound. Bullet didn鈥檛 hit bone but shattered about 1/2 way through and a piece blew back through his diaphragm making a mess in his guts. Not enough bullet IMO. Maybe I should have loaded the first 2 super hot & the last one light?

Registered
I've worked up some Barnes 130's for my 308. It shoots really good, and with Tac it is pushing 3100 fps W/O any pressure signs. I'm hoping it will be pushed hard enough to make a good mess of whatever I hit in the shoulder. I just need to test the theory. I had the same experience with the Sierra BTHP that you describe. That is one tough bullet. I shot the 140 grain in my 270 and 270 wsm, but if you don't hit a bone it doesn't open well. I shot it in my 6.5 creedmore in the 130 grain bullet, too. Big doe last year, ran about 150 yards. Good blood trail, but went between ribs and just poked right through.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts