Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Texas in 2 weeks and I have shot a few different rounds out of my 300WM that shoot really well. I won’t be shooting over a couple hundred yards. The rounds I am trying to decide between are the Winchester ballistic silver tip and the federal premium with accubonds. Both are 180 grains and both shoot really well out of my rifle. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,751 Posts
Either will work. My dad elk hunted alot in the.60s and 70s. He used a 30-06 742 and shot 180 gn silvertips. Killed one or more most years. Accubombs have a reputation for being fragile at times too.

·
Premium Member
15,195 Posts
Love Accubonds from my 7mm mag. Have shot them for deer for years and the only non pass through I can remember is a doe I shot head on. Bullet was just under the skin on her ham. It traversed that 120lb MO doe with no issues.

·
Premium Member
15,195 Posts
Love Accubonds from my 7mm mag. Have shot them for deer for years and the only non pass through I can remember is a doe I shot head on. Bullet was just under the skin on her ham. It traversed that 120lb MO doe with no issues.
And just in case you ever thought about doing this, don't!! Bloodiest nastiest mess I ever dealt with. That bullet destroyed everything from windpipe to colon.

Upside is she quite literally never moved other than to fall. Never twitched.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And just in case you ever thought about doing this, don't!! Bloodiest nastiest mess I ever dealt with. That bullet destroyed everything from windpipe to colon.

Upside is she quite literally never moved other than to fall. Never twitched.
I did the same thing on a small 5 point a few years ago with a 212grain ELDX from about 20 steps on the ground. It was pretty gross to clean.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got some 200 grain accubonds that I have had loaded and shot really good groups with. I haven’t ever killed anything with one of my hand loads and I don’t want it to be my fault something didn’t happen the way it could have if I would have used old reliable factory loads. But on the other hand, could be pretty sweet to kill my first elk with a hand load. I’ll probably go the 180 accubond route but bring all the other ammo too. There are lots of pigs too so maybe I try them out on them.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Last one I killed was with 200 grain accubond @ 387 yards. Bullet went though a lot of elk, opened up to do a lot of damaged & exited. You could do worse.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've used accubonds from pigs to large Axis bucks but the most impressive was a one shot kill on a Nilgai with a 7x57. Great bullets.

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ended up going with the 200gr accubond hand load and was able to shoot a cow at inside of 60 yards. She dropped on the spot and did not take a step. Those beautiful animals are a lot bigger than I expected.
Plant Hat Trophy hunting Working animal Fawn

1 - 20 of 31 Posts