Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen many threads on walleye fishing so thought I'd post a picture of a recent walleye fishing trip on Bull Shoals. This was back in April during the walleye spawn. I was using downriggers running two shadraps at 35 and 45 feet. The walleye were so active at the time that I was getting two hook-up's at the same time. After a couple of weeks, the spawn was over and the walleye headed for parts unknown.
I have since been doing pretty good on walleye using an underwater light and live shad for bait. The biggest caught this way was 27-inches a couple of days ago. My buddy got one 31-inches and weighed 7 1/2 pounds.
The fish in this picture ranged from 20 to 25 inches.

Cheers..... View attachment 2257

Hope the picture comes out.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
Nice boat and fish. :up:

We got some pits with walleye in them, but the only ones I have caught have been while trying to catch bass. I have read about submerged lights, but shad are not in the pits. Could you use redear or black perch? How far down do you run the lights, 10 ft? thanks

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,644 Posts
My favorite fish to eat!!! Have caught a few on Greers on occasion when bass fishing. The one time I made a special trip/effort to catch walleye, we caught nothing at all....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice boat and fish. :up:

We got some pits with walleye in them, but the only ones I have caught have been while trying to catch bass. I have read about submerged lights, but shad are not in the pits. Could you use redear or black perch? How far down do you run the lights, 10 ft? thanks
Yeah, we use the green flourescent light which has a ten foot cord on it and we sink it down all the way. The light draws in the shad which we catch in a gillnet and the shad draw in the big fish. Last night, we caught about 40 white bass in the 1-2 pound range but only two walleye which were keepers. One was 25-inches and the other 27-inches. We caught a few smaller walleye under the 18-inch limit and chucked them back.
This type of fishing can only be done in very clear water. If you don't have a clarity of about 10 feet, it's not going to work very well. The clarity of Bull Shoals is maybe 20 feet.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, we use the green flourescent light which has a ten foot cord on it and we sink it down all the way. The light draws in the shad which we catch in a gillnet and the shad draw in the big fish. Last night, we caught about 40 white bass in the 1-2 pound range but only two walleye which were keepers. One was 25-inches and the other 27-inches. We caught a few smaller walleye under the 18-inch limit and chucked them back.
This type of fishing can only be done in very clear water. If you don't have a clarity of about 10 feet, it's not going to work very well. The clarity of Bull Shoals is maybe 20 feet.

Cheers.....
I overlooked your question about using perch for bait. Sorry bout that. Walleye will certainly eat a perch but in all the walleye I've caught, I've never seen one in the gut. I had a walleye spit out a small flathead cat the other night. That must have been a hard meal to swallow. If you have walleye in the pit ponds, I believe I would try catching them on nightcrawlers. Most people up this way troll nightcrawler harnesses during the day and do quite well. I prefer to fish at night when it's cooler and fewer people are out on the water.

Cheers....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.