Building a new house

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by chubs, Mar 7, 2018.

1. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

...And so it begins. A long time coming but we've finally started. I'll post progress pictures from time to time. Thought it would be a good place to keep track of a timeline.

JR1, Allenn and brushcreek like this.
  2. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

That’ll be a nice place!

3. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Looks good chubs! Congratulations. What color brick and rock?
  4. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The elevation drawings looks great. But man...hope you like your neighbors! ;-)
    SwampCat and Onetrakd like this.
  5. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

Thanks! Painted brick. Some sort of light brown - tan something or other. My wife has an example house picked out she really likes. Rock is TBD. We are going with the brick color over to Acme this weekend to hopefully settle on rock.

Yeah...I lost the battle, ArkGirl. My wife was dead set on this lot. Its in a gated neighborhood for whatever that's worth. Close to family etc. I travel too, so she didn't like the thought of being out in the "country" by herself when I'm away. I'm thinking about building as tall of a fence as we can and get a nice outdoor mural painted on it :).
    ArkGirl and curdog1 like this.
  6. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

How come your going with a block foundation Vs a poured cement wall foundation.
    Onetrakd likes this.
  7. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

The simple answer is, I don't know anything about pouring foundations. I can't say I've ever seen a poured concrete wall that didn't use blocks. But, that said, I'll be the first to admit I haven't been actively inspecting foundations.

That and I guess I trusted the contractor (who does his own foundation work) to provide the best possible solution.
    brushcreek, Onetrakd and curdog1 like this.
  8. seark19

seark19 Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting your house plans? Sq ft etc?

We've bought our lots, just trying to save up to build.
  9. dlfarley

dlfarley Well-Known Member

A block foundation is by far the most common for houses.
    tmeredith and brushcreek like this.
  10. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

Week 2 -

Start of week 3 -

Slab gets poured Wednesday. Framing will start next week.
  11. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Are you using that just as a safe, or for tornado protection too? Is that in the garage or another part of the house? How big is it and how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
  12. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember when I built my house. I was lucky I was in the dry before week 3 completed in two months and one week. Built a 3 car carport with less than 500 square foot apartment attached last year took 4 months.
    I like that safe room with slab poured over it. I wish I had one.
  13. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

Tornado shelter. Its in the middle of the house. It will be under the stairs going up to the bonus room.

It's 4x6. Got it from - $3825 including delivery and crane set.
  14. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like you are moving right along! Be sure to heat the bathroom floors if they are tile. At least in the master bath. Man! If I could go back in time, I would do that at my house for sure!
    brushcreek likes this.
  15. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

JB your right. I think a person could build 15 homes for himself and always wish he had done something different. Heated tile, definitely and heated basement floor.
    brushcreek, JB Weld and curdog1 like this.
  16. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Chubs, looks good. Good call on the shelter. I put in a walkout basement and thought that alone would be safe enough. In hindsight, I would have rather had a safe room. Keep us posted.
  17. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

18. ARoutdoorman

ARoutdoorman Well-Known Member

Looks smaller than your original plans..or I’m looking at it wrong
    Onetrakd and JohnnieWalker like this.
  19. chubs

chubs Well-Known Member

We decided to down size and move in as soon as possible....we also liked the idea of a huge wrap around porch. :)
    Allenn, fullcredit and JohnnieWalker like this.
  20. ARoutdoorman

ARoutdoorman Well-Known Member

Plenty of porch space for get together