Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to see two bucks running some does through a field today. One of the does broke off and bedded down in a cedar thicket and the bigger crazy 8 point buck stayed with her and started licking and racking limbs after he ran off the smaller buck. About twenty minutes later a large 10 pt with a nice split g2 starts coming in but the crazy 8 was not having it. He turned the 10 pt away back to the woods then bedded down about ten yards from the doe.

I didn't think that a doe would be hot the day after Christmas but there was no question about it, had all the bucks hot and bothered.

All really fun to watch and from the comfort of my parents house, man I miss living there sometimes.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Does drive the rut.

Late season does in estrus are supposed to be healthy, born-this-year deer, born early enough in the spring that they come into season in their first year, a month or more later than the older does.

Not many of them, but it's enough to give a few of us hold outs hope.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had at least 2 does throw fawns last week of July, 1st week of August for the past two years.... Which would put then being bred end of December / 1st week of January...

Needless to say, I'll be hunting those two girls pretty hard the next 10 days...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If a area's ratio is off u can have does coming into heat just about any time. I have seen spotted fawns in feb. On one farm we had. It was not uncommon to see 30 or 40 deer in one field and not have a see able horn in the bunch. So a hot doe at the end of December doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Banned
4,558 Posts
Doe in heat this late is a sign you have too many doe and they didn't all get bred the first time around. Bad thing is this keeps the bucks in antlers even later and they tend not to have as much growth for next year. Shoot some does!!

·
Registered
34,883 Posts
Doe in heat this late is a sign you have too many doe and they didn't all get bred the first time around. Bad thing is this keeps the bucks in antlers even later and they tend not to have as much growth for next year. Shoot some does!!
Or it could mean you don't have enough bucks. In which case you'd need to NOT shoot some bucks.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I've had at least 2 does throw fawns last week of July, 1st week of August for the past two years.... Which would put then being bred end of December / 1st week of January...

Needless to say, I'll be hunting those two girls pretty hard the next 10 days...
The way I understand it, most of the deer born this year that come into heat in December are the ones that are born early, not late, and are healthy & more mature than the average 6 month old deer.

They are born to does that came in a little earlier the preceding year.

I don't think most of them come into heat until the following year, when they are 18 months old.

Others on here may know for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts