Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,956 Posts
A rub means that a buck came through---not much else in my opinion. Should you make mock rubs?----I have---especially when someone comes in and sets up a stand where I'm trying to hunt. Take a knife and skin up several trees close to their stand---throw in a couple of "fresh" scrapes, and he'll stay in that stand all day and not be out wandering around.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Is it a feeding area ? I have noticed rubs and some good scrapes are showing up in doe feeding areas and doe use areas. Main trails to and from feeding and bedding. I think they are starting to establish thier territories now :wink: Won't be long they'll be visiting those scrapes on a regular basis. I've made mock scrapes in a rub area , but in my opinion I would only put doe urine in them right now. Sometimes the doe estrus will run the other doe out of the area. I would wait awhile before using doe estrus. Good luck hope you get one ! Also in my opinion dominant buck urine might run the buck thats making the rubs out of the area if he is a less dominant buck. Just my two cents ....

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
A rub means that a buck came through---not much else in my opinion. Should you make mock rubs?----I have---especially when someone comes in and sets up a stand where I'm trying to hunt. Take a knife and skin up several trees close to their stand---throw in a couple of "fresh" scrapes, and he'll stay in that stand all day and not be out wandering around.:biggrin:
x2 but I only make mock rubs and scrapes in places I want people to hunt. Meaning far away from me :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my stand is about 115 yrds away from the rub. I am on a tall hill, and the rub is at the bottom of the hill on a dry creek bed. I walked around yesterday evening looking for sign, since it was raining here yesterday. Should I move me stand closer to the creek bed, or leave it by the HUGE white Oak on top of the hill ? The rub is very nice. The tree is 3-4 inches across, and tore up bad. Looks like he done within the past 2-3 days.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
No it means more than that. It also mean he stoped by for a little while and rubbed his antlers on a tree. :cool:
Exactly. He may never pass directly through there again. You have to look at the big picture to tell you that.
Now, a "rubline" would be a little different. That would mean, he's passed through there and made rubs several times, and that's probably a more consistent travel route. However, even that does not mean that you can set your stand on the rubline, and you'll kill him.

·
Registered
62 Posts
that rub could be bein used by more than one buck its a little early yet but it still could... i dont know about anyone else but i havent started seein rubs yet i walked across my first one today and i have only seen two scrapes the last two weeks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.