Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some crazy experiences chasing whitetail bucks for the past 25 years but few if any compare to the events of Saturday evening. An event that from now on will be know as Buck-O-Rama 2015. I hunt on the Nevada/Hempstead county line in Zone 12. This weekend the deer were is a funky crazy mood. Chasing does everywhere the whole woods sounded like a tending grunt video. Between me and the other guys at camp we saw every single shooter buck we had on camera in the daylight.... None were killed, or shot at.

Saturday evening I set up on a creek bank in a thicket that borders a 4 yr old cut over. It is an expressway funnel. I am surrounded by scrapes and rubs the whole place smells like a tarsal gland. Well at 1:30 pm a boone and crooket 4 pt comes out, he was huge and feeds right into range. I think to myself, if they all do this I am good. Shot opportunities in this mess are slim.. Well a few hours later the flood gate lets out I am surrounded by grunting bucks and running does. I saw 3 shooter bucks. One was quite possible the widest deer I have ever seen and he might have been a six point. They all crossed at 30 yards on the creek tending grunts and moving. I tried a doe can call, grunts, snort weeze, yelling meeerrrrppppp. Nothing would stop them or turn them my direction. Well after the bull buck came through I thought well this was a good hunt but hey there is tomorrow. Then the unthinkable happened.

A buck we named Gatekeeper some of you have seen me post appeared to my left just as I had turned over the can call. He is a 5.5 14 Point... Yes 14 points and he is 30 yards from me in the thickest trash ever. He is headed straight for my opening. I draw...... he steps out I scream MEEERRRRRPPPPPPP he does not stop. I almost pulled the trigger but he was too quick in the narrow gap. He comes towards me he is now 20 yards and is behind 100000000000 limbs. He follows the same path as the bull buck out of my life for yet another time. I am very upset. While at 25 yards I grunt, snort weeze, can call, blow, and pray to every single higher power I have ever heard of that he takes 10 steps and gives me a shot. He did not.. I sat on the stand an hour after sunset before my heart quite pounding. This is the second time I have had this buck at less than a 100 yards. Only the third time he has ever been seen on the hoof. BTW from my stand you can literally see cars as they head down a county road and these deer never cared for a min.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That. sounds. awesome!!! That's one of those rare, magical days in the woods we all patiently wait through countless slow days to experience! Too bad you didn't get a shot yet, but congrats! I hope to get a day like that this season!

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and stealthy I had used a drag rag with some tinks walking in and set two tinks bombs out. They were having nothing to do with it, it's almost like if they couldn't see a doe it wasn't gonna happen wish I had a decoy!

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy is at camp today said one the bruisers was coming in then stopped rubbed a tree and then walked the other way he grunted but the deer just kept rubbing the tree. Now take into account this is 44 miles from Texas. Two of my buddies killed bucks here in LR area that came in on a string to grunts and can calls. So hoping it heats up down there for this weekend. I don't care to much about twigs in the way when I got a 7mm with me!

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohh yeah the spot has been overlooked for years. I didn't know it was part of our lease till the landowner asked me to repaint the purple lease paint on the trees. It will be nice and pruned Next season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.