Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I killed this buck yesterday afternoon. I killed this deer so I'm going to be proud of him. I just got caught up in the moment and killed a buck that didn't meet my own standards. Anyway here's the story. I haven't been seeing much other than a pretty nice 9 point on the morning of 11/7. I gave this deer a pass as I could tell he was just 3 1/2. I don't want to shoot a buck unless I believe him to be 4 1/2 or older. So on 11/8 I slipped into an area I had saw some deer on the previous afternoon. I hung a new stand and had a nice 10 point cruise thru before I even got my bow pulled up. I tried grunting him in after I pulled my bow up with no luck. Just minutes later a pretty nice 7 point came by me pushing 2 does. I had high hopes for the afternoon since I'd already saw two bucks and 2 does in the first 10 minutes after hanging my stand. Well things slowed down until about 30 minutes till dark. A small 3 point came slipping thru and then all was quiet again. With about 10 minutes of shooting light left I could hear a buck chasing does to my NE. I was focused on them hoping he would show himself. For the next 5 or so minutes I could just catch flashes of deer running to my NE and constant grunting. I never did get a good look at the buck. With light almost gone and my focus to the NE I heard a limb snap to my south. I ease around and this buck is standing at 20 yards. I nearly panicked. I ease around and immediately think its the 10 point I saw earlier. I come to full draw but its to thick for a shot. He hits an opening at about 30 yards and I draw again. As I'm going to settle my sight I realize I've got a problem. I shoot a red dot on my bow and I've had the dot on for the last couple hours. The dot is turned up to high for the low light conditions and is just a starburst. I let down again and turn the brightness down. The buck is angling away now. I draw again and stop him in an opening I'm guessing to be about 42 yards. (turns out to be closer to 37) I settle the sight and make a smooth release. He drops in his tracks. I had spined him. I don't have an opening to put a follow up shot through so I quickly climb down as its getting dark in a hurry. I ease closer and put a follow up shot in him and he is done in just a few seconds. When I get to the buck I get a little sick feeling as I see the ground shrinkage and realize its not the 10 I thought it was. Its a nice 3 1/2 year old 9 point. He'll eat good and I'm proud to take him. I wasn't disappointed with the buck but rather with my decision making. I got caught up in the moment and didn't make sure what he was before releasing an arrow. I feel pretty confident that this is the buck I passed on the morning of 11/7. Oh well. I will just have to be more disciplined with my second buck tag.

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
We are lucky to be able to pursue hunting sports in this country - and especially fortunate to have the opportunities we have in AR. I can understand a little disappointment that the deer was not the one you wanted, but a deer like that is a deer to be proud of.:up:

·
Registered
31,146 Posts
Id hate to catch a case of the bigeye on that one! I understand your frustration though it not shooting a deer that met your qualifications. Congratulations on a fine buck!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Same thing happened on both my deer from this year...especially my ML buck. Thing is, I thought I'd killed 130+ deer both times and both shrank drastically once on the ground...another thing is, I don't think either of them was as big as that lol. Nice buck man

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Dink killer....smh. J/k, of course. Great buck and good story! Good luck on buck #2!

I get the part about ground shrinkage and him not meeting your personal goals and all, but my ground "shrunken" bucks just shrink more...

·
Registered
16,108 Posts
My 10pt was similar, not in age but in ground shrinkage lol....at first I seen his mass an automatically said shooter as he was walking up hill away from me, when he took his sweet time, prob 5 min, coming back down the hill to me, I was able to get a good look at him, and to this day will say he lost 5 inches of spread to ground shrinkage:down: Did I get aggrivated, no, I just missed judged!! And in your case Paul, with the light fading in those last few minutes makes it even easier to misjudge! Gratz on a great archery buck no matter how you look at it, and seems like you found a good honey hole with the new settup:up:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.