Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
I've tried several....some good/some bad. Had the same scope as yours on a Remington 7600 in 30.06 for a few years but it finally got to where it wouldn't hold zero and the exit pupil was so low it didn't do any good to use anything above about 12x in the dawn and dusk hours.

Had a Sweet 17 that turned out to be a joke, swapped it in for a Catseye that was even worse.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have a BSA Catseye I. R. and the I.R. gave up the ghost within a year. The scope still works, but it should considering it only sees a few shots a year. But would I do it again??? Not in this lifetime.... If I cannot go Zeiss ( which I can't / won't right now ) then it is a Nikon. I have had excellent luck with them, and I like them a lot. Especially for the $$$. They are a Good buy.

If not Nikon, then I would look at the bushnell 3200 / 4200 lines or a Burris Fullfield II or higher. Beyond that, it's anybodys guess.

Leupold VX III is nice, but they are very pricy for what you get. I would choose Nikon 9 / 10 times for the quality vs $$$ value.

Hope this helped a little.

I hope even more that you like the BSA and it holds up for you. Nothing sucks much harder than getting to the woods to only find out that your scope / gun combo has screwed up and let you down.

God Bless

Michael

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
I've had 3. Two were 3-9's and the other is a red dot. The red dot has been flawless and I've used it on 3 different guns. Holds zero great, has been very reliable and very rugged. And it only cost $29.

The other two ended up in the trash. Sorry:down:

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Got 2 3X9X50's, and 1 Cats-eye.......all have held up well for me.......maybe I got some good ones:doh:

Anyone used or using the Barska scopes...made in Russia??? got 2 of those and the one I have on a ML is clear as a bell, and has held up good......going to put a 3X12X50 IRC on a new single shot 06!!

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
I've tried several....some good/some bad. Had the same scope as yours on a Remington 7600 in 30.06 for a few years but it finally got to where it wouldn't hold zero and the exit pupil was so low it didn't do any good to use anything above about 12x in the dawn and dusk hours.

Had a Sweet 17 that turned out to be a joke, swapped it in for a Catseye that was even worse.
I have the Sweet 17 on my Remington 597 and I have been very impressed with it. I've had it for about 3 years now and it has performed flawlessly. My longest shot has been 273 yards on a crow with it on a windless day. Any squirrel 125 and under is in danger of a headache!:biggrin: Maybe you just had a bad scope or something? I've got 2 buddies that got one after shooting mine and they both love them too. Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't hesitate to use another BSA scope, although I don't use many high dollar scopes. Most all of my hunting rifles have Bushnell scopes which are mid-range but dependable for me.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am putting it on a Charles Daly 22-250. Want some good name glass,maybe, someday. Just looking at it out of the box, it seems well made for a cheaper scope, youall are about 50/50, so we will see. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
They need to tighten the yardage turret on the Sweet 17 a bit. It gets turned a little to easy for my taste. The Catseye I couldn't even get it to hold zero on a little 17hmr. The bigger scope I had was pretty decent like I said but I did state I had it on my 7600 when actually it was on my Model 70 in 30.06 and it got shot a lot working up hand loads for it. The recoil just finely took it's toll.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I have a couple of BSA contender scopes in 3x12 and so far they have been excellent. I also have a BSA sweet 17 Mach II on a LH Savage and it has held together fine over the last two years. I have carried up hills and through swamps and beat it around with no problems. The best scope I have had or seen in a long time is my Bushnell Elite 3200 in 5x15 with firefly. When I was hunting hogs in texas a few weeks ago I could see way better with it when the light got real low than with my naked eye. It was wonderful. If I could afford it every rifle I own would have one.. Anyway just my thoughts and observations.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
The best scope I have had or seen in a long time is my Bushnell Elite 3200 in 5x15 with firefly.
That's what I've got on my Model 70 now and I've loved it as well. :thumb:

I put a Simmons Aetec Master Series 4-14x44 on my Howa 1500 .243 but haven't been able to get out to shoot it much. I'm hoping to get out sometime this weekend but being I've drawn the night shift at Toad Suck Daze it might not happen.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
I put the new Barska 3X12X50 IRC on the new 30/06 the other day, and shot the rifle this weekend........I only shot it 7 times!! I had not bore-sighted it, but the first shot was 1 4/4 in down, and 2 1/2 inches right.....did a few adjustments and shot 2 was on the money:up: the next 5 shots were almost in the SAME hole:clap: :clap: Then a buffalo knat bit me on the edge of my left eye, and i pulled the 7th shot a little high and right.....but so far I'm tickled with the Barska, hope it stays put!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.