Browning 280

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by greenhead22, Dec 7, 2012.

1. greenhead22

greenhead22 Well-Known Member

I just got a 280 and was wondering what loads you guys shoot

2. allyellow

allyellow Well-Known Member

I reload for my .280 using 154 gr SST over reloader 19. I found that in my rifle the lighter bullets wouldn't group as well.

3. okierut

okierut Well-Known Member

140 grain coreloks out of my A-bolt.

4. greenhead22

I'm going to go shoot tomorrow and see what I come up with.

5. Blackbrier Bunch

Blackbrier Bunch Well-Known Member

I like a Hornady 162gr boat tail in my Ruger #1.

6. My Remington 280 didn't like the Hornady Superformance 140's (?139?), but my friend's Browning did. He shot a 2" group at 200 yards with them.

7. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I just got a 280 too waiting on my brass. I pick up a box of nosler 120 gr bt and 120 gr v max to load up. I thought about some 140's. I will go with the 120's with RL 19.

8. dartonmav60

dartonmav60 Well-Known Member

Bismarck
    What I use,one inch groups at 100 yds.I changed the trigger spring and now have a 2lb trigger.makes all the different in the world and very easy to do!

9. varmit_master

My father in law bought 2 cases of 280 rem 140 gr c l. At bass pro about 6 yrs ago. When he got home he seen one case was 140 and one was 150 gr so he called them and took them back they was out of one 140's. So they give him win silver bt 140 gr for the same price. He has never used any he likes the Remington better. Think I will tell him he can give me the 10 boxes of win 140 gr silver b t for xmas ha.

10. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

I started out with a Ruger 77 in .280 and worked up a load for it using the Hornady 154 gr. Interlock. The first doe I shot I found the bullet just under the skin on the far side. I switched to 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 under a Hornady 139 BTSP Interlock and have never recovered a bullet since.

The interesting thing is that when I traded the Ruger in on a Remington 700 in .280 and went through the entire load development process again, the load I settled on was the same load I used in my Ruger. I'm getting over 3,000 fps in my rifle but advise anyone to reduce that load by at least 10% and work up since the loading manuals have backed off somewhat as to the maximum load for that powder/bullet combo and it is off the charts now.

11. greenhead22

Are you guys putting it dead on at 100 yds or one inch high?

12. allyellow

allyellow Well-Known Member

One inch high at 100yds puts me dead on at 200yds.

13. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

I'm putting it dead on at 200 yards for my Leupold LRD reticle.

14. varmit_master

I put all my rifles 2 and one rifle 2 1/2 inch high at a 100. Does anybody load a lite bullet or shoot a lite bullet like a 120 gr. I don't wont to go over a 140 gr is the max for me. But that's just me. I like a lite bullet. I look for a 280 and didn't want a ruger my dad has a 270 and I would have a 280 just like it. I look for a Remington didn't find one. Come across a TC venture in a 280 lifetime warranty guaranteed a moa 1 inch group at a 100 yds justable trigger. So I went with it. I thinking about having muzzle brake put on it so my wife can use it. Richard

15. varmit_master

I was on another forum a guy had 2 almost full if not full of 280 bullets. 1 box of Speer.130 gr btsp and 1 box of sierra 160 gr btsp 15.00 each shipped to door. I told him I would take the Speer box.