Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ten acres I sprayed with 2.5 quarts per acre glyphosate. It had no effect on the teaweed (spiny sida). My neighbor row cropper doesnt want me to spray 24d because of possible drift. Keystone pest solutions indicated tryclopyr would be an alternative, but the residual could affect planting up to two months. My only other option is to disk the ten acres. Probably going to take two passes with a disk - maybe three. Two days with a disk instead of two hours with a sprayer. Anyone have any experience with tryclopyr and residual? Keystone even said their was potential drift with tryclopyr in warm weather. I said what is considered warm and they said anything over 75 degrees. I just laughed.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have ten acres I sprayed with 2.5 quarts per acre glyphosate. It had no effect on the teaweed (spiny sida). My neighbor row cropper doesnt want me to spray 24d because of possible drift. Keystone pest solutions indicated tryclopyr would be an alternative, but the residual could affect planting up to two months. My only other option is to disk the ten acres. Probably going to take two passes with a disk - maybe three. Two days with a disk instead of two hours with a sprayer. Anyone have any experience with tryclopyr and residual? Keystone even said their was potential drift with tryclopyr in warm weather. I said what is considered warm and they said anything over 75 degrees. I just laughed.
What are you planting?

·
Registered
284 Posts
not be sound like a smart azz, but everything will drift , if sprayed with the wind blowing 40 and a small tip producing tiny droplets, correct pressure and a good ai tip with systemic herbicides you will get little to none in a normal environment, the deal with phenoxy type herb is volatilization aka gassing off , dicamba is a bomb , d is not too bad , early morn spraying with potential inversions is a no no, if dust is hanging in the air when you drive around so is the chem , glufosinate aka liberty is not going to get up and move on you , treat it like glyphosate , not as good on grasses but better on broadleaves , higher carrier volume wiith glu always help , not as translocated as gly so coverage is key , blazer is labled in bean and rice , its not going to move either , on a side note i tank mix a quart of glu and quart of gly and burndown my plots …. another note if its like it is around here we havent had but a 1/2” rain through all of this , and it doesnt matter what you spray , weeds have shut down and with out active growth your application will prob be a failure

·
Premium Member
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not be sound like a smart azz, but everything will drift , if sprayed with the wind blowing 40 and a small tip producing tiny droplets, correct pressure and a good ai tip with systemic herbicides you will get little to none in a normal environment, the deal with phenoxy type herb is volatilization aka gassing off , dicamba is a bomb , d is not too bad , early morn spraying with potential inversions is a no no, if dust is hanging in the air when you drive around so is the chem , glufosinate aka liberty is not going to get up and move on you , treat it like glyphosate , not as good on grasses but better on broadleaves , higher carrier volume wiith glu always help , not as translocated as gly so coverage is key , blazer is labled in bean and rice , its not going to move either , on a side note i tank mix a quart of glu and quart of gly and burndown my plots …. another note if its like it is around here we havent had but a 1/2” rain through all of this , and it doesnt matter what you spray , weeds have shut down and with out active growth your application will prob be a failure
yes, it is dry as a bone here - no rain in weeks. I sprayed gly and it did a decent job on everything but the teaweed - it didnt touch it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
29,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You starting a bakery? I’ve heard the story about the top seen wheat that goes from a dove plot to a deer plot to a hog plot. Same place?
yes - if it wasnt for doves, I wouldnt worry about the teaweed - it would die out on its own at time of planting if just for deer. Dove dont want to be foraging for wheat seed in a thick weed cover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Triclopyr doesnt have very much, if any, real residual activity, especially if you’re planting wheat. I wouldnt have any reservations about that. But, in this heat, the 4 lb ester (e.g. Remedy) will gas up and go, so I’d avoid that if nearby sensitive crops are present. Try the 3lb amine formulation, or even better the non-volatile choline, Vastlan. As mentioned earlier, glufosinate is probably a suitable alternative and gives rapid results. Another good option would be Chaparral/ Opensight. There is some residual, but nothing that would prevent me from planting wheat.
As mentioned earlier both species of teaweed are tough to control once its over 2-4”. Cold steel works too though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts