Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rage

I don't think you will have any issues with the Rage as long as you went with the 2 blade version. The 3 blade have had issue's. I used the 2 blade version late last year and took a very large bodied Doe with complete pass through and she died in sight. I was using a Bowtech 82nd Airborne so KE was not in question.

In my opinion there are a lot of good Mech. I still believe you need to be pushing 65 lbs or more on your drw weight but that is my opinion. That being said. I personally am headed back to my Slick Trick Mags. I still believe in what a archer once told me. It is doubtful that a Mech. will ever fail completely or even partially, but it CAN, in the same sense a fixed blade cannot fail as there is no Mech. movement. That stuck with me and if you think about it I just do not feel it is worth any risk even if it is only .001 %.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
fixed heads for me

I have had mechanical heads fail to open. WASP Jackhammer. I was shooting 67 pounds with a compound. After that I decided never again.

This year I will be shooting a 50 lb recurve and my 125 gr Magnus 2 blades fly like field points. As a matter of a fact I'm taking a break from sharpening right now and if you sharpen your own heads I highly reccomend a Lanskey knife sharperner.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If you've already purchased your broadheads this may not be all that important and you may have already watched this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

Reggie found it interesting. He's come full circle from thunderheads to muzzys to mechanical blades and he's now back at 100 gr. Thunderheads.....and he has no plans of leaving.

Good luck this fall to all the archery hunters!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I use 100gr thunderheads and they fly nice for me..I shot 3 arrows this afternoon and all 3 were touching each other and in the kill zone. Now I have to replace the fletching on 1 arrow.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've tried several mechanicals and never did find one I like. I'm shooting Slick Tricks now and love them. Those 2-blade Rage broadheads look pretty good though. I've even purchased some but don't know if I'll use them for anything but turkey hunting.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That will come in handy if you ever need to kill a steel drum.:biggrin:
True...And you have to clean the steel drum real carefully to get a piece you can eat!

The test is a little extreme, but most of us bow hunters are as well. Reggie liked the shots through the cantaloupe that showed if the various mechanical broadhead blades opened or didn't.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Big fan of G5 Strykers and their clone the Bass Pro Redhead Blackouts. These are made by G5 and are identical to the Strykers with a 1/8 inch less cutting diameter. Priced right too.

Will use a Spitfire mech. if practice time has been limited.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i personally shoot muzzys...theyve never let me down...i have videoed a friend shooting an eight point last season with a rage two blade expandable and it penetrated maybe two or three inches at 37 yards with a mathews switchback on 68lbs...we never found that deer and thus they will never be on any of my arrows. also ive used spitfire mechanicals and its impossible to shoot through any cover what so ever...if one blade touches a briar the blade opens and the whole arrow flight is off and tilted...i had to learn the hard way:smack::banghead:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have never had a mechanical head fail. I used mainly the Rocket Steelhead and it penetrates just as good as a fixed head. Fixed heads I use are G5 Strikers and Slick Trick Magnums. Some years I use mechanicals and some I use fixed.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I have been switching back and forth between muzzy's and slick tricks in 100gr. The slick tricks are definately more accurate but lately I have had a couple of the BH's start ratting. I can fix it by unscrewing it and adjusting the blades then tightening back up but only lasts for one shot. Has me guessing about the alcatraz system they use. That said I have a question Does anyone who shoots muzzy 3 blades get their bow to shoot darts with them or is there always a little wobble?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had a spitfire not open last season won't use them again. I use the theory the more moving parts the more likely it wail fail
I use the spitfire 100gr mechanical, my question to you is "how did it NOT OPEN" if they are the same ones i am using, the only thing holding it back is a little tension.:confused: No rubber bands, no smoke and mirrors....... just a little ferrule on the blade.

Just wanting to know, not picking or anything.:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.