Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cousin that is having trouble getting his broadheads to shoot like his field points. He has paper tuned is bow and still the broadhead shoots 4 or 5 inches to the right. Anyone have any suggestion on how to solve this problem? Here is his set up Mathews switchback xt, muzzy zero, gold tip arrows and muzzy max 3 100 gr. broadheads. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It is called broadhead tuning. First, make sure the 3 blade heads align with the fletching, and that they are balanced, (you can check this by spinning them and watching for wobble. You have several different choices. What is most likely going on, if the broadhead is properly aligned is that the blades of the broadhead are fighting for control with the fletching. You can switch broadheads, put smaller vanes on the arrows, or put a helicoil twist fleching on the arrows to increase spin. or you can broadhead tune the bow, using broadheads and field points. Or you can simply match your point of aim to the broadheads. there are different approaches, depending on his arrow/draw length and personal preferences. A good 4 blade broadhead, like slick tricks, will often perform just like field points when some 3 blades will not. A pro shop can fix you right up. these are the best suggestions I have without knowing his exact setup. This is why I encourage everyone to shoot those broaheads before season, better to find out now.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It is also critical that he is not torquing that Mathews grip once the bow is drawn back. It is very easy to do. If you can watch him, make sure he has an open hand at full draw and just touching his fingers around the grip, not "grabbing" the bow. Doing this will be much more evident with broadheads than field tips, but both arrows will kick side to side. I shoot the exact same bow. G5 Strikers

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
quack is right, if his form is poor he will have trouble with getting them to fly with field points.

Are his broadhead groups tight? If so move the rest 1/16 inch to the left and shoot again. Both groups will be moved to the left but the broadheads will be moved futher. Repeat untill the groups impact is the same. Usually this will work if your shooting form is good. Once the impact is the same move your sight to put you back on target.

I've not found aligning the broad head blades and fletching to make any difference but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Double check the trocar tip to make sure it's screwed on straight and spin test the heads as mentioned above.

I've had little trouble getting my Slick Tricks to fly the same as my field points

hd

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Agree

I agree with the doc. It depends on if he is shooting groups 4 or 5" away. If he has a tight group then just move the sights to sight in for the broadheads. Getting late to start getting technical. If there are not groups then go back and check everything for your centers and make sure nothing was bumped or come loose. A wobbling arrow will reak havic on your nervous system. Good luck.

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
Ive never had broadheads hit right fieldpoints.I paper tune, tryed the walkback all seems good.Must be me doing something.Anyway shoots good out to 70 yds so Im happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.