Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever feed corn by broadcasting it with a seeder on trails. Wondering if spreading it out like that would still bring deer to area but they wouldn’t be as on edge as a pile of corn or feeder.

·
Registered
31,494 Posts
I put out sort of 'piles'. But I strew it (by hand) all over. Gets the scent of it in the air much better than one big pile. And if there are 4 deer standing there, they tend to spread out some.

It's all gone anyway, the coons and crows eat it.

I'm probably done with corn this year.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
The coons and crows will get their share no matter how you feed. Ive got a field with bermuda and fescue that I cut to keep it around knee high. l use a hand spreader and spread it over a couple of acres. It seems to deter the crows a little and the deer have to work a little for it so it will last longer. This is about a 3 acre field that I spray every year for weeds. I assume Im contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Many years ago I was hunting just N of Texarkana on the river. I could see the smokestacks of paper mill in Ashdown. One evening I spread out two 40 pound bags of corn. Got there early the next morning and hunted for a couple of hours. Didn’t see a thing! I was shocked! Got up to check corn and for tracks and couldn’t find a kernel of corn or one track! And it was in a harvested bean field!

·
Registered
57 Posts
A report a few years back indicated that bucks tend to keep moving while browsing and not linger over piles or at feeders. So broadcasting might bring a buck by your stand. Of course there are plenty of exceptions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i usually try to pee near it and wear work clothes, never needed any camo or scent blocker to harvest big deer. tune in next week for more information.
Exactly... In the forest is one thing... But on your land/lease... Let them get used to your smell, all year. This way it's not foreign. My wife told me a few years ago to leave my shirt in the woods and swap it out... I was like, genius!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts