Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Now, I don’t hunt him, but he came from a great hunting line. Very smart dog. My girls have spoiled him View attachment 340763
Yeah…my wife & 2 daughters hijacked my last attempt to have a hunting dog. Now that I’m retired, the girls are raising their own crews & I traded off the wife I’m going to try it again. I helped my father train quail dogs in KS as a kid. This is going to be fun.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yeah…my wife & 2 daughters hijacked my last attempt to have a hunting dog. Now that I’m retired, the girls are raising their own crews & I traded off the wife I’m going to try it again. I helped my father train quail dogs in KS as a kid. This is going to be fun.
I’m excited for you. Keep us updated

I wanted a liver and roan, but man they are hard to find

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought my Brittany from a guy north of Dallas. Found it on gundogbreeders.com
I spent some time this morning searching that site & it seems the sky (and your checkbook) is the limit on these dogs. I saw some gorgeous pups out of hot blooded pedigreed hunting dogs from about $500 up to 4 times that, in just about any color combo you want, within driving distance. This was supposed to be a birthday present to me in April, but it might be early. Still debating male vs female. Our AR season runs from 1st Sat in Nov for 45 days. I live about 30 miles from the LA line & their season starts about the time ours closes and runs until Jan 31. I think this is going to work out just fine.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I searched the web and found a dozen or so gun dog breeders in AR, OK, KS, LA, & MO that specialize in Brittany pointers. All got messages from me today. It seems French Brittanies are a different breed than American Brittanies with shorter legs and that and range closer, which is what I need. Now that I've got the idea in my head, I'm hot to get one. Anyone get wind of one, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
No, they point. Most folks consider them a spaniel, although I think I read somewhere that's changed. Most spaniels flush, so that might be where you got confused.
Nah it’s cause I’ve walked carrying a shotgun behind a few. I’ve only seen one that would hold a point the rest would point but break and flush before you even get close enough for a shot.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah it’s cause I’ve walked carrying a shotgun behind a few. I’ve only seen one that would hold a point the rest would point but break and flush before you even get close enough for a shot.
That’s the dog & the owners fault. I’ve never hunted behind Brittanies, only Pointers & Setters. Those dogs got their furry butts torn up if they routinely flushed birds instead of holding with my father & his buddies back in the golden days. Watched some videos of some Brittanies in LA holding points on woodcock long enough the owners had to gps track to find them. THATS the dog that I want to raise.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So…I did the research & talked to some breeder/hunters & confirmed the French Brittany is the best dog for my purpose. Then went through a long list of breeders in drivable range & came up with a guy in TX that breeds & hunts championship French Brittanies all across the country on grouse, quail, woodcock, pheasant, & partridge. This guy invites people who buy his dogs on hunts all over the country. He just got back from hunting various types of wild quail in the Texas Panhandle, New Mexico, & Arizona. After talking with him, I want one of his dogs.

Here’s the deal: His normal breeding program pups sell for $1500 & his high end program championship dogs from super pedigreed champion sires through frozen sperm run $2500 per pup. He says he has people waiting in line for all his puppies and the two dams who will be inseminated with the frozen sperm in the next 2-3 months already have people paying 1/2 down. I believe him.

It’s been decades since I’ve bought a pedigreed hunting dog. Are those prices in range for a high end puppy these days?

·
Registered
374 Posts
In the bird dog world that may be a little on the high end but not much if any out of really proven and papered breedings.

Since not many dedicated bird hunters around the days of finding good back yard breeders are few and far between. thus you are looking at supply and demand. They are one of the breeds that do well as just pets and many are bred just for that purpose with little or no thoughts on furthering the sporting qualities much like what has occurred with golden retrievers, labs, german shorthairs, etc. Worst case scenario is that the hunt is bred out of a breed like the Irish Setter.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the bird dog world that may be a little on the high end but not much if any out of really proven and papered breedings.

Since not many dedicated bird hunters around the days of finding good back yard breeders are few and far between. thus you are looking at supply and demand. They are one of the breeds that do well as just pets and many are bred just for that purpose with little or no thoughts on furthering the sporting qualities much like what has occurred with golden retrievers, labs, german shorthairs, etc. Worst case scenario is that the hunt is bred out of a breed like the Irish Setter.
This guy seems like the real deal to me. He gets his breeding stock from France or from one or two generations out from there & takes his best dogs there to compete in field trials with live birds. The linage documentation he provides for both sire & dam goes back several generations, mostly in French. He’s supposed to get back to me tonight on when which dogs are expected come into season & let me know how many people have already paid down on which litter. What sold me on one of his dogs was when he didn’t try to sell me on the upscale pups, saying how good the $1500 pups were going to be if I wanted to wait just a bit longer.

More as this develops, if you folks want to know.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I paid $1000 for my Brittany ( not French) 10 years ago then another $750 for 3 months of basic training and another $1000 a few years later for 3 more months of training.
Given 10 years of inflation, $1500 doesn’t seem out of line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts