Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Can't say I know of one in that area. If you are hunting with an outfitter usually they will have a guy they use and recommend. If not... google it and read the reviews. That's how I found the guy in Texas I was going to use.
Free range bucks.. my buddy will know someone but I think I’ll find a south Missouri taxidermist.
thanks Coach!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
IMO the easiest thing to do is find a taxidermist in the area you are hunting. Have them ship the finished product. Last Texas hunt I went on I had a taxidermist lined up in advance.... turns out we didn't get a kill and didn't need one but I had a plan in place in advance. That just seemed a lot easier to me than doing a big chunk of the taxidermy work myself and then paying someone to do the rest.
I believe in the advance plan.. 2019 I killed my muzzleloader Kansas buck & it was a nightmare getting a taxidermist to even return my phone call. It was smoking hot & I was in a panic not wanting my cape to run & trying to get him to a freezer.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
you can scramble the brains with a coat hanger and shake them out or use a drill and drill a one inch hole in the base of the skull and then use the drill bit to scramble the brains.

a little boiling water poured in the cavity and shook up will help clean it out with out getting it on the cape.

but you really should cape it out and then do this. boiling the whole skull is best and surest way to be legal and safe.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I do drive on 412 coming home if I have a deer in a cooler to avoid the 1000 dollar fine. For what I am doing hauling the deer in a cooler it is an inconvienence that isn't changing CWD. I check my deer in Fulton county so they would know the origin isn't a MO deer. I have seen roadblocks in AR and Mo when the CWD thing first started.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I think I have come up with the right thing to do. Does anyone know a reasonable taxidermist that does good work in southern Missouri? I’m not talking about a free mount! Just a reputable, reasonable taxidermist in southern Missouri? Preferably close to Harrison because I work there once a month on my job.
Alan Hughes in west plains

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
4.8 out of 79 reviews.. super nice guy with immediate answers without me even asking turn around time he answered!!
Very reasonable pricing.
Thanks for all the feedback & the help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
4.8 out of 79 reviews.. super nice guy with immediate answers without me even asking turn around time he answered!!
Very reasonable pricing.
Thanks for all the feedback & the help!
I think you all helped me figure out the best possible LEGAL choice.. search for a taxidermist as close to the Arkansas border as you can. That way you don’t have such a hard trip to pickup & you don’t have a high shipping fee if you decide to have it shipped back.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.