Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the requirements for bringing a buck back into Arkansas out of a CWD area? The meat will be totally deboned but I’m talking about the Cape and skull, etc.
If someone can give me knowledgable feedback, an article link or anything else to point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What are the requirements for bringing a buck back into Arkansas out of a CWD area? The meat will be totally deboned but I’m talking about the Cape and skull, etc.
If someone can give me knowledgable feedback, an article link or anything else to point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.
Deer/Elk Movement Restrictions
It is unlawful to import, transport or possess in Arkansas, any portion of a of a deer, elk, moose or caribou harvested outside of the state within Arkansas, except the following low-risk items:
  • Antlers and/or antlers attached to clean skull plates or cleaned skulls (where no meat or tissues are attached to skull)
  • Meat with all bones removed | How to Skin and Debone a Deer(YouTube)
  • Cleaned teeth
  • Hides and tanned products
  • Finished taxidermy products
I actually can read that, but I’m just needing to know how to get the brain matter out without soaking my cape with water..

A good toothbrush should clean up the teeth well.

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
Do concealed carry. But if they catch you it's expensive. I heard 1000.
I hunt in Arkansas a couple of counties west of where I live. Both counties border MO. The best fastest shortest way for me to drive is across V and142 in MO. But it is illegal for me to drive out of AR into MO back into AR with a deer cut up in a closed up cooler. I think it is ridiculous and serves no purpose but it is the rule.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OBiden Fault... Can't buy Ammo, Can't bring game across state lines...Will be county next if it already is... Pffffffffffft!!!? Crazy,World has gone Nuts!!!!
Next thing.. they’ll take your trophy skull because you didn’t brush his teeth or some other imaginary rule they’ve made up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies..
Taxidermist told me to keep the cape DRY AS POSSIBLE. (Pressure washing is out!) I do NOT want to SAW horns off a trophy buck. I guess it’d be best to cape him & cut off the top portion of the skull, then scrape out any brain matter.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I hunt in Arkansas a couple of counties west of where I live. Both counties border MO. The best fastest shortest way for me to drive is across V and142 in MO. But it is illegal for me to drive out of AR into MO back into AR with a deer cut up in a closed up cooler. I think it is ridiculous and serves no purpose but it is the rule.
It kinda crazy for sure, but I think the intent is good. Unfortunately, you have to draw the imaginary line somewhere.
The crazy part is, you'd probably be breaking the law in MO when you do that too. AR threw the book at the Swamp People guy for driving through the state on his way back to LA from a deer hunt elsewhere.
Years ago, my brother took off the week of Thanksgiving. He hunted on the other side of AR and killed a buck before driving straight to WV to visit family. He got checked in KY bc of the out-of-state tags and deer head in his truck, but luckily at the time AR was not on their list.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s just taking things too far to me.. my opinion, just sayin

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Thanks for the replies..
Taxidermist told me to keep the cape DRY AS POSSIBLE. (Pressure washing is out!) I do NOT want to SAW horns off a trophy buck. I guess it’d be best to cape him & cut off the top portion of the skull, then scrape out any brain matter.
Correct. The pressure washer would be if you wanted to bring home the skull after the cape is removed. For the skull plate, knocking the brain out is good enough I assume. There's not really anything left on the inside after you do that. That's what I've done anyway, but I've never been checked.

I've never planned ahead because I have a weird superstition that being too prepared for success jinxes it, but if I killed something out of state and wanted it mounted, I'd probably be checking out taxidermists in that state. I'd have to pay someone to cape it, and I doubt my local preferred taxidermist would offer a discount.

·
Registered
478 Posts
IMO the easiest thing to do is find a taxidermist in the area you are hunting. Have them ship the finished product. Last Texas hunt I went on I had a taxidermist lined up in advance.... turns out we didn't get a kill and didn't need one but I had a plan in place in advance. That just seemed a lot easier to me than doing a big chunk of the taxidermy work myself and then paying someone to do the rest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO the easiest thing to do is find a taxidermist in the area you are hunting. Have them ship the finished product. Last Texas hunt I went on I had a taxidermist lined up in advance.... turns out we didn't get a kill and didn't need one but I had a plan in place in advance. That just seemed a lot easier to me than doing a big chunk of the taxidermy work myself and then paying someone to do the rest.
That’s why I put out this post.. about to head out of state ... I’m pumped.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used an out of state taxidermist on my Kansas buck.. he screwed up the best buck of my life & id really prefer to use a local taxidermist.. they wanted $700 or something like that to ship my buddy’s buck to Arkansas. The taxidermist I used was at least kind enough to meet me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx Coach. I think I may just do that again, I had a bad experience last time that I used an out of state taxidermist, but I don’t want any huge fines either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I think I have come up with the right thing to do. Does anyone know a reasonable taxidermist that does good work in southern Missouri? I’m not talking about a free mount! Just a reputable, reasonable taxidermist in southern Missouri? Preferably close to Harrison because I work there once a month on my job.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can't say I know of one in that area. If you are hunting with an outfitter usually they will have a guy they use and recommend. If not... google it and read the reviews. That's how I found the guy in Texas I was going to use.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If no one does, I’ll call the Archery Shop in Harrison. He’s a knowledgeable feller that’s easy to talk to. He’s got an glass company/archery shop in Harrison.
All Pro Auto Glass & Archery
Thank you for your help! And happy Veterans Day… Thank you so much to all who served.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.