Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the ban on rotating winged decoys is bull. We bought a brand new Mojo floater a season before the ban. Now it is a dust collector in ark. What can we do to abolish this rule? What do ya'll think?
Signed Angry duckhunter

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
In 99 and 2000 it sure was fun killin ducks by using a spinner,but something just didnt feel right to me about getting out of the pit to quit hunting after a twenty minute hunt with four to six limits,and ducks still trying to land between me and the Robo. it wasnt a duck hunt,it was a duck shoot. You didnt even have to call. I wish the entire flyway had banned them. Maybe bring them back once every 5 years just for the boys who cant call or dont have a decent duck hole.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree with Buck..... I wish the states above us had to get rid of them too. I think allowing the use of them only during certain periods would be good too.

Maybe just during the first session.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't see it as an all or nothing type deal at all.

Now I'll agree that as far as helping the overall good or population age dynamics of the the flock....AR's ban alone is useless.

but

When it comes down to the quality of hunting, the ban has done a great deal for AR hunters in that regard. I could tell a significant difference the very first week of the first year of the ban, that it was a good move. Ducks just work MUCH better, without the disco lights flashing all over the countryside. There were piles of ducks killed before the Spinners were ever thought of, piles killed during their tenure here in the state, and piles killed since they've been booted. What does that prove???? Didn't need 'em to kill ducks before they was around....don't need 'em now. Keep the ban in place, I don't care who does or doesn't follow suit...it's their loss with their lack of vision.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It would not suprise me to see that rule thrown out in the near future. I was told by a few people that are in the know that the whole purpose was to start a trend and hopefully all the other states would follow. But after seeing that AR is the only state and no others are going to follow suit, the rule will eventually change back to allowing them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't see it as an all or nothing type deal at all.

Now I'll agree that as far as helping the overall good or population age dynamics of the the flock....AR's ban alone is useless.

but

When it comes down to the quality of hunting, the ban has done a great deal for AR hunters in that regard. I could tell a significant difference the very first week of the first year of the ban, that it was a good move. Ducks just work MUCH better, without the disco lights flashing all over the countryside. There were piles of ducks killed before the Spinners were ever thought of, piles killed during their tenure here in the state, and piles killed since they've been booted. What does that prove???? Didn't need 'em to kill ducks before they was around....don't need 'em now. Keep the ban in place, I don't care who does or doesn't follow suit...it's their loss with their lack of vision.
I do agree some what in the fact that I stopped using one about 3 years before the ban. Ducks got real spooky by the time the got here when one of those things were out. But I still think it should be all or nothing and I think the quality would go way up if everybody stopped useing them. Young ducks are easily fooled by them when they wouldn't if it was just a guy and a call. They would still get fooled don't get me wrong but we would see more youngens down here.

And if they don't ban them other places then bring them back. Becouse when people scare them of their hole maybe they will come to mine.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts
I agree with the statement made above by others, "It's a Crutch" for those who cannot kill a duck by using the traditional methods. I for 1 have enjoyed some of the most enjoyable hunting I have had in years without everyone around being able to use one of these things to maybe get a bird close enough on the first pass to blast away at them. Now they have to work them in close enough with good calling & proper set up if they have the ability to do so. One has to get back to the basics & rely upon knowalge to get the birds without them. For those of use who have hunted for decades, we have payed our dues when it came to learning the habits, patterns & the do's and don't from the school of hard knocks. Without the use of the spinners, maybe a few others will spend some needed time to learn these things also, not totally rely upon all the dot-com stuff that has entered the sport.

I for 1 hope they never bring them back for use in Arkansas. Even of they don't ban them flyway wide, it for sure will help save a few birds right here by keeping some of the "Want to Be" duck hunters who must rely upon them out of woods or if nothing else, at least the birds out of gun range of those who would be blasting away at them at 3 tree top's high before!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Think back to year ago folks did not have all the stuff they got now.. And for some reason them folks got more ducks then you do right now.. Just cause something make's it easier don't make for a better hunt... You put the time in and you don't need all that junk... It seems that thing have come full circle years ago guys would hunt commercially and haul the ducks out now every one hunts commercially and are hauling everything out..Less is best

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.