Breasting Ducks on National TV

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by claytonsdad, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

If I serve ducks to my friends, do I have to put a game transfer tag on their plates?

earl blevins, Ange, JHS76 and 2 others like this.
  2. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

My old camp at biggers had a no breasting rule. We picked every duck. After a big -long weekend we sometimes plucked 100+ mallards. It's was time consuming even with a picker, wing/deer cleaver chopper, gut'er, torch guy, rinse/package guy. I take them to the picker a few times a year for ducks to roast. The rest get breasted.

3. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Man. I don't envy you there. That's a ton of work.

JHS76 likes this.
  4. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

What was reasoning behind no breasting?

JHS76 likes this.
  5. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

The old men that started the club had the rule for years and years. We put the hearts, livers, and cleaned gizzards back into the chest cavity of every duck too. I only hunted up there for a 4-5?years (and even then just 6-8 days a year...long drive). We had some fantastic hunts though especially when the black was in flood stage.

We would go up for work day and have a squrriel hunt- first time I'd ever seen the skinned heads fried- busted open and brain eaten

6. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    When I started squirrel hunting I started with a 22 and did my best to head shoot the squirrels. My dad said I was ruining the best part of the squirrel by destroying the head. I told him I'd just have to take his word for it.

Ange, luckless and JHS76 like this.
  7. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    We have always filleted the breast meat off the bird after getting the ducks home. If camping in the field should you:
    1. Put the whole bird on ice, and use this method at home.
    2. Gut the bird, put on ice and use this method at home.
    3. Breast the bird, while leaving a wing on and cleaning it up at home.

8. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

Breast and wing man here

JHS76 likes this.
  9. docw

docw Member

More worth to dress the legs. If you have several-skin the legs out and cook in pressure cooker or crock til tender and and make gumbo etc.

10. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Several years ago, I was speaking to a game warden during duck season. That very subject came up - breasting out ducks. I told him that I always pluck and clean them - saving the whole thing as best I can - he clearly stated he was glad, because while he knew that many people breast them out, it was "technically" illegal as the term they use "wanton waste of game animal".

Thing is - I've heard others (hunters) say the same thing - but none can tell me of a single case of someone getting ticketed for the offense - only that they had always heard it.

11. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Not everyone was brought up as great as you I guess. There are also folks who were raised to not waste any part, of any animal. That includes the tongue, brain, liver, heart, eyes......
    I am guessing you eat every part, of every animal you harvest right?
    No waste.....
    Really. This thread started out sounding like someone's underwear got to tight in a sensitive area.

12. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    From the 2017 AGFC Waterfowl Guidebook

"Wanton Waste: It is illegal to discard (or allow to go to waste) any edible portion of game birds taken. Edible portions for game birds are breasts."

JHS76 and Punkinseed like this.
  13. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    waste.png

pearlsnaps and pharmdeez like this.
  14. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Beat me to it.

JHS76 likes this.
  15. Boscoyo

Boscoyo Well-Known Member

Ar
    LOL...wow.

16. I'm more of a breast it out and stuff it in my waders and keep hunting type of man myself....

silentassassin, Punkinseed and Ange like this.