Breaking: Asa Hutinchson named to head NRA initiative to lead their response plan

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by jcblough, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jcblough

jcblough Well-Known Member

NRA funded team to make schools safer including armed, trained school security personnel.

2. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    We as parents should pull our kids out of school until something like this is in place

3. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

x2!!

4. bgkv77

bgkv77 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. Anywhere you go where there are large groups of people has security, except schools. That was a good point.

5. jcblough

Agreed. I thought the beginning of the conference was really bad but finished strong.

6. It's a good starting point.. It still doesn't address the main issue of dealing with the mentally ill though.. When will we see that these individuals don't belong in main stream society and Mom and Dad can't fix it at home??

7. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Define mentally ill? The vast majority do just fine at home. You'd raise heck about taking away someone's gun but it's OK to take their kid? Don't think we can mandate institutionalizing mentally ill children.
    Now if they have demonstrated that they are a danger to others it's a whole different kettle of fish.

8. You are correct and I should have been more specific.. I'm referring to indiviuals that have shown that they are a danger to themselves and others either through their actions or things they have said..

9. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    You can't touch them either.

I'm answering this in almost every thread. Tired of typing it out.
    Finding nutcases is meaningless under current law. You can't touch them for saying anything. Only AFTER they commit the crime can you MAYBE get a judge to commit them. Probably not even then.

I have first hand, sad, family knowledge of this fact.

10. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

It's called parental control. A mentally healthy set of parents should know better and keep their weapons, if they have them, in a safe place where their mentally challenged child or children cannot access them at any time. No sense in making more laws that wouldn't work anyway because it boils down to parenting and we all know how society has been going concerning that!!

11. RC

RC Well-Known Member

:clap:

But the way of the world is blame objects like guns, video games and movies. Not hold people accountable for there actions its not there fault.......

12. chuckwagon

chuckwagon Well-Known Member

X2
    Have been there myself sir.

13. jcblough

x3

14. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Then I would agree. We also need to stop the revolving door that is our prison system. Parole is a joke, made even worse by recent laws passed to relieve overcrowding. Politicians talking about what a success it is, prisons are less crowded. Well where do they think they all went?

15. PigSoiee

PigSoiee Well-Known Member

I watched the NRA press conference. I am glad the NRA has a rational plan that can help keep kids safe at school. Asa Hutchinson was the right person to pick for this initiative.

16. Yup

17. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

You don't need armed guards bullet proof glass put a office to enter the school you have to go through that has to give you access. Doors only open if needed all class rooms doors cannot open unless its opened with key or opened from inside. Armed guards are nice but our kids are not in prison. Just my opinion.

18. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

try and check for mental issues means some sort of data base record keeping and the aclu is going to be all over that

guns and hi cap mag bans is like peeing down your leg in a dark suit

you get a warm feeling and no one knows

19. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    I agree.

20. angus

angus Well-Known Member

Years ago those who were considered by Dr.s and judges as "Dangerous to themselves or others" were institutionalized. Years ago those who were considered "criminally insane" were put away for good in institutions. Then as a part of the larger civil rights movement a process of Deinstitutionalization" happened. The patients were let out and sent to community mental health centers. It was all voluntary and most just dropped out. Most of the "homeless" about 80-90% of those you see on streets are in fact chronically mentally ill. Now the only way someone can be committed against his will is if he meets one of three criteria: Grossely impaired (generally as to person, time or place) 2 actively suicidal or 3 actively homicidal. It is not enough to simply have suicidal thoughts or homicidal urges. One has to be most specific, as in "I have a knife and I am going to stab myself." or, "I am going to go go in kill them right now". Short of that type of thing you have to turn him loose. It does a disservice to public safety and actually a disservice to those who are mentally ill.