Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,657 Posts
I agree with @ArkGirl. There is a difference between training and abuse. Rolling an animal in a sealed barrel crosses the line.
Maybe, maybe not but it's effective. That beagle will never chase a deer or go in a barrel again.

Plenty of dog guys have done it for years.

Personally, when I ran beagles, I tried the deer hide tied to a collar and found it effective as well. Two or three days of dragging that sucker around and that beagle will shy away from any deer scent.

·
Premium Member
17,657 Posts
Your heartless @JR1

Training any kind of hunting dog isn’t for a snowflake. Some of y’all need to snap a hound loose before you start casting judgement.
My dogs were healthy and happy. They made me some good money. But they were dogs. I'm not in for abusing one or hurting one for fun but a dog ain't a human.

·
Registered
131 Posts
[/QUOTE]
The same people that wouldn’t shock a dog or roll it down a hill in a barrel would cut its balls off.
I have rescue dogs and a rescue horse. Rolling a dog in a barrel is cruel. I know that dogs and horses are not humans but being cruel just because someone says a method works is not the kind of person that I want to be. You do what you can live with and I will do what I can live with.

·
Premium Member
17,657 Posts
Absolutely...under proper anesthesia with pain management after.
Without arguing for or against any of it, removing a tail, taking off dew claws, clipping ears, spaying and neutering and such even under anesthesia is still mutilating an animal to make it meet our standards.

Let's at least be honest about it. Mutilation for human pleasure and convenience is pretty cruel when we take off the blinders and look at. Probably on par with a trip down a hill in a barrel.

I've never done any of those personally (other than having animals spayed and neutered) and I probably won't, but I'm pretty careful about how I judge folks.

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
If you equate a neuter/spay under general anesthesia and pain meds while healing...in the same realm as sealing an animal in a barrel and rolling it down a hill...we have no common ground to even have this discussion.
I do not advocate for tail docking, ear clipping etc just for appearances...but population control is a needed thing IMO.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have rescue dogs and a rescue horse. Rolling a dog in a barrel is cruel. I know that dogs and horses are not humans but being cruel just because someone says a method works is not the kind of person that I want to be. You do what you can live with and I will do what I can live with.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never rolled a dog down a hill, I’m just here to call out the virtuous. I can live with someone giving a sport dog one last chance in a barrel, because if they’ve made it to that point, “training” and “positive reinforcement” didn’t work. That’s assuming the trainer knows what they’re doing.

·
Premium Member
17,657 Posts
If you equate a neuter/spay under general anesthesia and pain meds while healing...in the same realm as sealing an animal in a barrel and rolling it down a hill...we have no common ground to even have this discussion.
I do not advocate for tail docking, ear clipping etc just for appearances...but population control is a needed thing IMO.
We agree on the last paragraph for sure. I'm 100% with you on it. Plenty of common ground.

And I'm not equating them. Of course there is a difference. But at the end of the day they are both pretty cruel acts.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I don’t advocate for rolling dogs down hill either but I won’t judge someone that does. You nail a steel cleat to a horses foot. We’re all on the wrong side of animal rights folks. Let’s not defend ourselves separately is all I’m saying.

·
Premium Member
17,657 Posts
@LJ107 you and I have disagreed about some stuff but I believe we'd land on some common ground with your next to last post.

Animal rights, in many ways, is based on societal norms. I've known two Koreans who thought I was an idiot for having a well fed dog in my house that I didn't plan to eat.

It is entirely possible to be against animal cruelty and still recognize they are indeed just animals.

Shoot, we choose to eat some and befriend others. Who got to make that call?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
@LJ107 you and I have disagreed about some stuff but I believe we'd land on some common ground with your next to last post.

Animal rights, in many ways, is based on societal norms. I've known two Koreans who thought I was an idiot for having a well fed dog in my house that I didn't plan to eat.

It is entirely possible to be against animal cruelty and still recognize they are indeed just animals.

Shoot, we choose to eat some and befriend others. Who got to make that call?
I’d eat a dog in heartbeat if I had to. Just want to put that out there.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts