Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beagle that runs rabbits well, but the past few years he’s been running deer more and more. I have a training/shock collar with high range but it seems like shocking him once out a few hundred yards on a deer doesn’t do any good. Can I break him by putting a deer hide/scent in the yard and lighting him up when he smells it? Or is it too late to break him? He’s 5-6 years old

·
Premium Member
23,198 Posts
A guy use the tell me he would by deer scent and spray on a rag and tie to collar freshening it up daily spray around their house in house all the time. He claimed they got to where they hated it and wouldn’t mess with a deer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dad hunted in New Mexico in the 70's with an Indian guide. Pete had cat dogs and bear dogs. Dad asked him one time how he kept them from running the wrong thing. If his Cat dog ran a bear, pete would toss a bear hide in a 55 gallon drum and stuff the dog in it too. He would seal the barrel up and roll it down a hill, dog and all. Pete said the dog would be so sick that it would never run a bear again.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,493 Posts
Wow...some seriously bad ideas on this thread. The barrel? Really?
It may not be that they learn to hate the smell so much as it becomes familiar and part of their home environment and they lose the drive to seek it out. Like desensitizing in a way.
The method was adopted by coon hunters in calif. While I was a member of SC Valley Houndsmen’s Assoc.

·
Premium Member
23,198 Posts
My dad hunted in New Mexico in the 70's with an Indian guide. Pete had cat dogs and bear dogs. Dad asked him one time how he kept them from running the wrong thing. If his Cat dog ran a bear, pete would toss a bear hide in a 55 gallon drum and stuff the dog in it too. He would seal the barrel up and roll it down a hill, dog and all. Pete said the dog would be so sick that it would never run a bear again.
I’ve heard more than one person say this method works

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Sorry...but IMO there are training methods...and then there is just abuse. Think about why it may have been effective and refine the technique so it is actual training and take the abusive barrel rolling out of the equation.

It's like with horses...back in the day a lot of harsh methods were used to "break" horses. Effective...sure...but by refining those techniques a horse is not taught via fear and pain...they learn to look to the rider in times of stress and to do as asked without fear. We have learned the difference between breaking and training.

I realize some will disagree and consider this as "soft"...but I think you make a better hunting partner in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
All the old koon hunters around here used to keep goats in the pen with their hounds. They said it would stop them from running deer. I have no clue if it worked or not, but goats and deer smell nothing alike to me.

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
Before training collars and animals having more rights than humans. A rolling barrel was a fairly common device in the hound world. Not saying if they worked or not but I do know it’s was a fairly common practice.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If the collar isn’t working you need to adjust your tactics. Set him up for some deer races and as soon as he gets a nose full, adjust his attitude. If he doesn’t stop, get tougher. The right collar on the right setting will absolutely stop a race. Consistency is key here, and you need some positive reinforcement with the bad or text may quit you altogether. Rags, fake scents, barrels, etc aren’t as effective as consistent applications of electricity. And although it may hurt his feelings, and may even shut him down from hunting for awhile, it won’t cause him any long term damage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts