Bradley Smokers? Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by Preston, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Preston

Preston Well-Known Member

Lookin at getting a Smoker, ive heard Bradley is a good one, anybody got one?

2. crappieitis

crappieitis Well-Known Member

Fouke
    My brother bought one for my dad a couple years back..I can not praise it enough....you load it with what ever you want cooked and walk away its very forgiving..wood pucks smoke for about 20 min each so you control the smoke it gets. It has a separate thermostat for the heat.I smoked 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving at once about 16lb each..

I did learn to spray all the trays inside with a good shot of Pam to make the cleaning easy..If you use it on a patio or deck keep something under it to catch any juices that may come out...

There is a Bradley forum you can read some tips from that really help

3. Ozarkian

Ozarkian Well-Known Member

I had one that I used for about 4 years. It was a great smoker, however, I bought a Char Griller Akorn (Kamado) this past spring and I love it. I use lump charcoal only and can cook up to 16 hrs on one load. I do a lot of smoking and I can keep that Akorn at 225 for hrs and it will stay within 5 degrees of where I want it the whole cook.
    Don't get me wrong, the Bradley's a great smoker. The deal is, you have to buy the wood pucks and with the Acorn I just toss some water soaked apple, cherry, or hickory on and let her go. The Akorn is actually a little cheaper than a Bradley at $300.00. You can put your hand on my Kamado Akorn and it just feels warm on the outside unless you bring the temp up to 5 or 6 hundred degrees for steaks. All this is from my own experience. I've had several different smokers over the years and the Acorn has been my favorite for smoking meat. There's some video's on You tube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw
    The akorn is the poor man's version of the Big Green Egg.

4. bhays

bhays Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O

I have one but I honestly use my horizontal smoker much more often. The drawback for me is having to purchase the pucks and they aren't really very cheap. That and in colder weather I had trouble getting it up to temp and staying at temp. I put an Afterburner propane burner on my horizontal and don't have that problem anymore...

5. Ozarkian

Ozarkian Well-Known Member

Ok Preston, what did you decide on? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

6. Unit74

Unit74 Account Suspended

I got a Mastercraft from bass pro two years ago...... Love it! Looks basically like a dorm room fridge but has electronic control on top.