Bowhuntin Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by J. Adams, Jan 17, 2008.

1. J. Adams

J. Adams Well-Known Member

Been at with the ole shotgun for years now, got my single season slam last year, thinking of trying the bow some this spring.
    2 Questions.
    Rage 2 Blade head ok?
    Does poundage have to come down?
    Thanks, ja

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I don't know anything about the Rage broad-head but I don't see why it wouldn't work if it's put in the right place and I wouldn't worry about turning the poundage down on the bow if it were me. JMO

3. fredbear

fredbear Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner

I would recommend investing in a blind that is large enough to draw your bow in. I am with possom on the broadhead and poundage though.

4. J. Adams

yep, got the blind.

5. archer

archer Well-Known Member

I like the 1.5 inch 125gr jackhammers, but anything will work if put in the right place. I like on of those shocker attachments between the broadhead and shaft but they won't work with every broadhead. You're not really looking for a clean pass through like you are on deer. I like to turn down the poundage so I can hold longer, but I don't have a blind so sometimes I have to hold longer JMHO. But I'm looking for a decent blind.

6. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

I've been trying (and failing, but learning) to get one this fall. What I've heard is that you want to avoid passthroughs because of the lack of bloodtrail and their ability to still fly off. I've found a really cool broadhead to help with this called the Turkey Tearror, check them out http://www.redmondoutdoors.com/American-BroadheadbrTurkey-Tearror-P4203C0.aspx . A buddy of mine suggested a really dull broadhead with a grasscatcher?? that has worked flawlessly for him. I am going to buy some of these Turkey Tearrors, they look mean

7. Lgreen

Lgreen Well-Known Member

I use the same head that i shoot deer with nap spitfire i agree that is is better to not pass through the turkey but a well placed arrow is more important than the head. (Dont shoot them in the breast).

8. spur

spur Moderator-Razorback Forum<br>Sports

nwar
    Rocket buck blasters and leave the fixed blades off.
    3 blade 2.5" cut
    Very devastating

I take 2 shots on turkeys (head and neck) or dead center back. No tracking either way!
    Good luck!

9. rntbuck

rntbuck Well-Known Member

well, well, well, ole ja is comin on over to the archery side of things. does this mean if i get to go to w's this year youd be willing to leave the ole thunderstick at home?? ive seen seymour dang near cut one in half with the rage. devastating. matter fo fact, id leave your poundage right where it is, the ones ive shot i was amazed at how hard they were to penetrate. i think i was at like 67 pounds or so

10. J. Adams

Yo Buck, will prob never leave the shotgun behind, besides I think we proved one thing at W's...they aint down with no clowns in a popup blind!

11. fredbear

fredbear Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner

I just found a new broadhead. It is called the Bullhead by Magnus. It looks like a 3 blade GG.

12. rntbuck

rntbuck Well-Known Member

duly noted. i seem to have forgot about that one fateful morning. 3 clowns, one pop up, 2 guns and a camera.