Bow hunting in the Rain ??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Acorn, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

What is everyone's opinion about bow hunting in the rain? I've always had it in my head that you don't bow hunt in the rain b/c you couldn't trail an animal you hit. I've heard deer don't move in the rain and I've heard a light to steady rain is great for deer movement.

I hunted the other day and it rained briefly (not that I saw any deer however) and it got me thinking.

2. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I never liked doing it for the very reason you mentioned.

3. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I can't hunt in the rain......I'll melt!:thumb:

4. stingerslinger

stingerslinger Well-Known Member

I don't.Not worth the extra risk of losing a deer.

5. webbtoes

webbtoes Well-Known Member

Spent many a hour in a tree in the rain. Ground blinds make things a whole lot more comfortable, bought one this year. I rather go in the rain, just selective on what I shoot at:thumb:

6. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Thought about it myself, but don't. Hard on bow equipment. Trailing may not be an issue if your using a Rage.:whistle:

7. I hunt in the rain. I like it. I seem to have better luck in the rain, well a light steady rain. Although, when its raining I wait untill that perfect shot presents itself. I wont shoot over 30 yards in the rain. I have let a lot of them walk when its raining that I would have laid the smack down on in good weather. If there is a shadow of a doubt on not getting a PERFECT shot. I let it walk.

P.S. with grim reapers they don't go far anyway ................. :hide:

8. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

Took two weeks vacation last year and went to an NWR. I usually dont hunt in the rain but I had two weeks and it was either hunt or waste my precious time. Yall remember how much it rained last season. I was hunting all day on most days and was shocked at how many more deer I saw when it was raining as compared to it not raining. A buddy of mine was riding around in his truck thinking that I was crazy. I was seeing bucks at all times of the day. It didn't rain every day but probably 9 out of the 14. There was water in places I have never seen water before and I'm sure it had a lot of the deer pushed up to higher ground so that could have had an influence on what I was seeing. I purchased a Stormcloth 2 outfit and I really put it through to the test. It passed with flying colors. Its warm, dry and very quiet for rain gear.

9. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

love the rain.....hate grimreapers.....got 2 packs and i cant give them away.:whistle:

10. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Just send them reapers my way.

Deer move plenty in the rain. Not like they have the option of staying in the house. Lol

11. send them my way. Heck, I will even pay for shipping. I love them and I have NEVER had any problem with them at all. I know this is going to cause an uproar but I tried the rage, HATED them. Muzzy 4 blade was good. But there is something about those reapers that I LOVE. To each his own. But I will pay shipping if you send them. I could always use more broadheads.

12. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

I've never got a buck in the rain with a bow YET but the biggest buck I've shot was in some nasty heavy rain last year.

13. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the 3 biggest bucks I've ever seen while on stand were in the rain or during a short break in the rain. 2 in Kansas and the other here in Arkansas. Best advice I can give you for bow hunting in the rain... keep your string dry. If it gets wet you won't believe the sound your string makes when you turn it loose. Learned that one the hard way in Kansas.
    But I don't mind it as long as it ain't pouring down. I'll hunt a drizzle or a light rain all day. I got one of them tree stand umbrellas that you put on the tree above you. $25 well spent.

14. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

first deer I ever killed with my bow was right after it had quit pouring rain and then about 30 minutes after I shot her and backed out it poured again. I was sick thinking about the blood trail washing away. We went out and sure enough no blood. 5 of us looked until 1am when my dad stumbled across it (luckily).

I still hunt in light rain though......

15. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

i shot this deer in the rain, well it was actually misting with heavy rains forcasted, and wasnt able to recover. would i do it again, yes. will i take a risky shot in the rain again, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BPAwutcS0