Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
It changes from time to time
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO…. I broke down a 39A (that was shooting well) to give it a good cleaning & when I put it back together I snapped off a base mount screw in a set of steel Weaver tip off rings. I blame it on my Wheeler Engineering gunsmith screwdriver kit. Replaced them with a better set of steel rings (Burris) and figured it would be close to on because I didn’t change the previous scope settings. So much for that. It was a stable platform but shot so far low & left I ran out of clicks on the Nikon 3x9 Target EFR. Not the scopes fault. I was amazed it let me move it as many clicks as it did. It started out 18” low & 6” left at 35 yds & wound up 4” low & 2” left when I ran out of adjustment.

Best fix?

·
Registered
16,737 Posts
New rings...
Not sure if you're mounting to a dovetail?
If so, and there is no base to work with... only thing I can think of would be to change the rings.
? Maybe get a base to mount to the dovetail then go from there..
Or, if I'm wrong and it's not a dt... Get a new base?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New rings...
Not sure if you're mounting to a dovetail?
If so, and there is no base to work with... only thing I can think of would be to change the rings.
? Maybe get a base to mount to the dovetail then go from there..
Or, if I'm wrong and it's not a dt... Get a new base?
It’s an old Weaver grooved base mount that's been on there for for 60 years, attaching to the flat receiver to accommodate standard tip off rings. I did change the base mount attachment screws to torqx head before mounting the new rings but that shouldn’t have been an issue. All the other ring attachments that have been on that base down through the years worked fine. Read some reviews on the Burris rings and several said there were problems with misalignments. I can replace with Leupold steel for about $70. Maybe that’s my next move.

·
Registered
12,281 Posts
SO…. I broke down a 39A (that was shooting well) to give it a good cleaning & when I put it back together I snapped off a base mount screw in a set of steel Weaver tip off rings. I blame it on my Wheeler Engineering gunsmith screwdriver kit. Replaced them with a better set of steel rings (Burris) and figured it would be close to on because I didn’t change the previous scope settings. So much for that. It was a stable platform but shot so far low & left I ran out of clicks on the Nikon 3x9 Target EFR. Not the scopes fault. I was amazed it let me move it as many clicks as it did. It started out 18” low & 6” left at 35 yds & wound up 4” low & 2” left when I ran out of adjustment.

Best fix?
Believe I would try first.... move both adjustments on the scope, back to zero (middle of adjustments... left right, up down) bore sight the gun, & see where it hits at 25 yds. Since you were 18" low to start with at 35 yds, doesn't sound like it was bore sighted.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is very odd to run out of adjustment at 35 yards. You shouldn't need a special base or rings for that distance.
My thoughts as well. It could be a coincidence that it happened after I got the HD base mount screws & used the tight fitting screwdrivers to torque it down. The old slotted screws were all wallowed out & could only be pulled down so tight. Maybe my twisting off the ring mount screw was a clue. Maybe there were preexisting issues with the base mount fit & I twisted it out of shape. I’ll start changing out components beginning with the base mount until I fix it. Still doesn’t seem like that would make it off that much, does it?

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
My thoughts as well. It could be a coincidence that it happened after I got the HD base mount screws & used the tight fitting screwdrivers to torque it down. The old slotted screws were all wallowed out & could only be pulled down so tight. Maybe my twisting off the ring mount screw was a clue. Maybe there were preexisting issues with the base mount fit & I twisted it out of shape. I’ll start changing out components beginning with the base mount until I fix it. Still doesn’t seem like that would make it off that much, does it?
I wouldn't think so. My first thought was the scope, but it did move it up 14 inches. That is weird. Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe I would try first.... move both adjustments on the scope, back to zero (middle of adjustments... left right, up down) bore sight the gun, & see where it hits at 25 yds. Since you were 18" low to start with at 35 yds, doesn't sound like it was bore sighted.
It was sighted in dead nuts at 50 yards on the same gun before I changed out the rings & base mount screws. It was somewhere in the middle adjustment area when I took it off the gun. After I remounted it, I moved it up over 200 clicks to get the 14” I got before it ran out of room. It’s not a bore sighting issue. Something is way out of alignment in the bass mounts and/or rings.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't think so. My first thought was the scope, but it did move it up 14 inches. That is weird. Let us know what you figure out.
The scope moved up a reliable .08” per click for 14” at 35 yards before it ran out of room. I thought it would bottom out way before it did.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is a conundrum.

I'm more concerned about the 2'' left part. Elevation is an easy fix, but I'm not sure a shim will help the windage? Does the burris mount have a windage adjustment like the nifty leupolds do? I really like the leupolds. Best mounting system ever.

Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts