Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an old thread about these guys. Anybody used their copper plated bismuth? I follow an IG account called RainingBands. This guy uses the 12ga 2.75” #4s and has some impressive shots. He killed 5 teal in one shot. Also more than one video of him killing 3 snow geese with one shot.
Since I went down to a 20ga for ducks, I haven’t had any real issues except last day of season this year. Firing Drylok #2 into a 13mph headwind at some ducks on the field. They were just passed the decoys at about 40yds. I was using a Carlsons Extended Range choke. My pattern was all over those ducks but I wasn’t killing them. Wasted a bunch of shells on singles and cripples.
Boss shells are kinda high, but no higher than 3 Dryloks on one duck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I shoot it exclusively now also out of a 20. Copper coating helps the fragmenting but still found several halves of bbs in ducks. I shoot 4s. Knock down power is better, but it’s not what some of the fanboys say. I don’t get to hunt as much now that I live in the hills, so worth the extra money for me. If I was burning multiple cases a year, I’d still be shooting steel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It patterns very well out of my sx4 20 and my sx3 12. I shoot 3 inch 5s in the 20 and 2 3/4 5s in the 12. I’ve made impressive shots with it. It patterns better than fiocchi lead shot out of my guns. It’s pricey but I’ll shoot it over premium steel ammo that cost the same. If we still had ample shot opportunities on ducks I wouldn’t be using it, but pickings are slim these days. Make the most of every ahot

·
Registered
604 Posts
I shoot 3" #5s in 20 gauge. I hunt timber, so no long range shooting, but I use BOSS for the increased pellet count I can get with bismuth vs steel. I originally purchased them for my son, but ended up getting some for myself after I patterned them and counted the pellet difference in 30inch circle at range.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. No more than I get to hunt, the added cost spread over multiple seasons won't be much. I know that I wasted 5 dryloks on one duck last day of season. Shot it on the water, hit it so it was slow to get up. Shot it again in the air and it sailed down away from me so I loaded a couple more and took off across the field. Took 3 more shots to run it down and kill it.

Not only was that one duck expensive; it was kind of cruel not being able to finish it off quickly. Plus, there was enough steel in it to make it un-safe for my teeth. I've always hated steel shot; but, shooting head-long into the wind with that little 20ga really enlightened me to the limitations of lightweight steel.

·
Registered
26,283 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. No more than I get to hunt, the added cost spread over multiple seasons won't be much. I know that I wasted 5 dryloks on one duck last day of season. Shot it on the water, hit it so it was slow to get up. Shot it again in the air and it sailed down away from me so I loaded a couple more and took off across the field. Took 3 more shots to run it down and kill it.

Not only was that one duck expensive; it was kind of cruel not being able to finish it off quickly. Plus, there was enough steel in it to make it un-safe for my teeth. I've always hated steel shot; but, shooting head-long into the wind with that little 20ga really enlightened me to the limitations of lightweight steel.
Not saying at all that the bosses won’t help, but 20’s seem to struggle water swatting cripples. Very well may help kill them dead in the air though.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’re undergunned for field hunting.
I was that day. I still shot my limit, just took more shells than it should've. The main problem that day was our setup. Blind was on a field edge with no cover to setup correctly anywhere else. But, sometimes that happens and I'd like to increase my odds without buying a 12ga and shells for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts