Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a boone and Crocket measurer for many years and only recently allowed my certificate to lapse. As a measurer I got to see some really nice deer. However, a question that often came to mind was that if Boone and Crockett will not recognize a deer killed in a 5000 acre fenced area, why would they then recognize a deer that had been chased down by dog hunters and killed. Is it more ethical to run a deer down with dogs and kill it than it is to humanely kill it within a 5000 acre enclosure. What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I suggest that you take your complaints up with them. http://www.boone-crockett.org/

I have sit back and watched this horse get beat to death over and over.

We try to be fair and balanced on here, but this is getting out of hand. A lot of good topics are being ruined because the dog issue gets brought up.

Find something else to post about for awhile and give this a rest.

There are limits to my patience.

Thank you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I sat back and watched my feeder post turn into a dogs post.

Seems like alot of things turn into a dogs post.

I grew up on hunting deer with dogs, and at that time I saw no problem with it. As a youngster, I just did what my dad did.

As someone who doesn't hunt with dogs now, I could see how someone who was trying to hunt deer without dogs...basing their hunting patterns on the deer patterns, only to have those patterns interrupted by dogs run by man could have an issue. Heck, sometimes you might even have a tossup hoping someone ran a deer over onto you...but I think that's the rare case.

Here's a thought to bring more data into this little debate.

How many states allow hunting with dogs?
What do other states do about this issue?

Instead of making this such an emotional issue that is so close to the hearts of those who dog hunt...try to step back and look at it from other perspectives.

I've heard from those who hunt with dogs(and I've been there myself), and the dog and the thrill of the chase is often just as important, if not moreso, than whatever is shot.

From a purist standpoint, one might find it easier to make judgement on what is right or wrong.

From my standpoint, I would prefer that noone hunt with dogs that are neighboring my land.

Everything has 2 sides.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It is still hunting and as long as it is legal the dog threads need to die for a little while. Our northern neighbors kill lots of B & C deer by the "PUSH" method. Is it ethical to set some guys in the escape routes and then send some guys in to push the deer toward those hunters, maybe maybe not.
It is not for me to decide. As long as a guy uses tools at his disposal and
it is with the rules set by the Game and Fish commission then as hunters we
should except these and not fight and bicker among ourselves.:smack:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm an Ole Miss fan and I'm glad to have him.

It's an upgrade for us. I have to listen to a daily ribbing at work about it...but we'll be better for it.

It worked out good for both parties, but I would also be mad about the 3 million payout...so I understand.

Now...back to the dogs. :)

Or something else would be nice as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pgooch

As you are the owner of the site I must bow to your wishes. On the short term I will stop posting about trespass, dogs, and things that might be controversial and if I post at all, it will be small talk. Not sure what others will do.

However, the question I asked seemed like a good one to me. I am an avid deer hunter and I think that refusing to talk about those things that we are ashamed of or we think will make us look bad, is a huge mistake. If hunters cannot talk about real issues on a hunting web site then the problem is bigger than I thought. The thread would simply have fallen off the bottom very soon. The old adage, “confession may be good for the soul, but hell on your reputation” may be valid.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm not an owner, admin or anything other than a member and I'm tired of seeing this crap. I think the ? was no more than a camoflauged version of the same topic that has been beat to death by 10 other variations on the same topic. I'm not trying to be an a$$ but merely posting an opinion from someone who hasn't been involved in any of the discussion but has to look at it everytime I come in to look at deerhunting stuff. If you look at those topics you'll notice it's the same 8 or 10 folks doing most of the bantering which leaves about 6,870 members that are most likely also tired of the topic.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
I for one believe Band C should have different standards for public and private lands for scoring. Inside a pen that is trophy managed shouldn't count. I've hunted with and without dogs. It's easier to kill bucks without them.Or that has been my experience.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I was a boone and Crocket measurer for many years and only recently allowed my certificate to lapse. As a measurer I got to see some really nice deer. However, a question that often came to mind was that if Boone and Crockett will not recognize a deer killed in a 5000 acre fenced area, why would they then recognize a deer that had been chased down by dog hunters and killed. Is it more ethical to run a deer down with dogs and kill it than it is to humanely kill it within a 5000 acre enclosure. What are your thoughts??
My thoughts are that you're a very bored fart who likes to see people get pissed about his posts way more than he cares to find a solution to the problem the he's beat into the ground. Couldn't you go fishing or something?

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
.............. I've hunted with and without dogs. It's easier to kill bucks without them.Or that has been my experience.
Here's my two cents....I find it just the opposite. I've had more nice bucks bumped out of my honey hole, while waiting for them to give me a killing shot; than I can count....one guy, came with his dogs, and when they jumped the 8point I was watching, I thanked him....which seemed to surprize him at first, because he couldn't find me....then he started cussing me, and I stood up and faced him from high up in my tree, and informed him that I had sole permission to hunt the land and told him the name of the owner and invited him to go ask permission....his reply was F%#@ Mr. ...........![name excluded]! I said, very well then....I'll give him your message. This got him a visit from the Sheriff! Another time I shot a real nice wide 8point with a perfect arrow to the boiler room....he was making a terrible crashing through the bottoms, and I thought I heard someone talking. I wasn't too alarmed because I watched him fall and could see his white belly.....then the unbelievable happened....the voice I heard turned loose several dogs, which ran right to my buck and he jumped up and ran! Clean out of hearing! That night I drove a certain road, and saw my buck hanging from a tree in his back yard. There were several rough looking dudes gathered around laughing as the saw me drive by! I called the sheriff, who cited the man for not tagging the deer and made him tag it. So...I'm just kinda teetering on one foot right now.:wink:

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
It's quite simple. A wild deer killed in front of dogs is still a wild deer. A deer in an enclosure is livestock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.