Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have shot most of the major brands and this is going to sound like a broken record but for the money the remington 700 is tough to beat. Browning a-bolts are my personal favorites but are about twice as much and for general use not worth it.

I have wanted to give the new marlins a try. They get rave reviews and the ones I have messed with at the gun shops felt good. Might take a look at those and see what you think.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You should check out the Marlin XL7c. Mine shoots Minute of angle or better and has a Savage like trigger. No frills Rifle that shoots great.

Best bang for the buck.

1. Marlin xl7
2. Savage with accu-trigger
3. The new Ruger American
4. Remington 700
5. Tikka T-3

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a 700 SPS youth gun for my son and it is holding up pretty good. I have another 700 270 but it is an older model BDL and the bluing is great on it. You can find older BDLs for about the same money as new ADls. I personally like the bluing finish better than the matte finish on the newer models. The chevy vs ford comment was dead on. Everyone has an opinion.

I have heard that the lower end a-bolts have had some trigger issues. I suspect that this is where Browing saved some money and got the price down to $500. I would look for an older model if it were me and an a-bolt was what I decided on.

·
Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
2,392 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard $399
Rem 700 ADL $379
Savage 111 around $385

All are good guns. I'm biased to the Weatherby because I've owned 3 and all have been great guns.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Stevens 200, can't seem to find a rifle that will outshoot those I've had my hands on. Factory ammo about M.O.A, handloads they like, 1/2-5/8 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. Pretty good for a rifle thats usually under $300 out the door.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
There is a stainless Marlin XL7 in the trading post right now. I have one of these (blue) in 7mm-08 and it is a great rifle for the price. The one in the trading post has a pretty decent scope on it as well so you would be ready to go.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I recently got a older Stevens 110 (early savage 110), has the adjustable trigger - not the accutrigger. But it is set at a very crisp and no creep break. It is quite literally the best trigger I have ever felt and am quite surprised. I paid $175 for the gun. Its old, had to redo the stock, but now its a sweet little rifle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts