Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a bolt action 30-30 and was wondering if anyone has one or loads for one. I am going to start getting bullets ordered and am looking at 125 and 150 grain bullets by Sierre and Nosler. Any advice?

· Registered
2,545 Posts
If the magazine is long enough to handle them, the 30-30 really shines with Nosler Ballistic Tips. I've heard they blow up too fast when fired from bigger, faster rifles but at 23-24 hundred fps, they really do well. While not a mag fed rifle, I'm using 150's seated long in a Handi-Rifle, 36 grains of the new Hodgon LVR powder getting me 2300 chrono'd. This makes for a heck of a 200-225 yard deer cartridge, the Ballistic Tips don't shed energy quite as fast as round nose bullets do. My guess is that any 125 grain PSP would do equally well and you shouldn't have the possible length issues of a 150 Ballistic Tip or a Hornady SST. I'm three inches high at 100, dead zero at 200, took a doe last season with this load at 165 yards, she went down as fast as any of my .308 loads will do.

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Can you measure the inside of your magazine box? A set of calipers will tell you exactly what you have to work with. You might then check a load manual that gives Contender loads. If you do get a length measurement, let me know, I'll pass on some load info I have that might help!

· Registered
2,545 Posts
Yes, I don't think you'll have any problem. My 150's are all the way out to 2.700, this with the bullet about .020 off the lands. I think you can easily get by with even 150's seated just short of your magazine length. What powder do you use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.