Bobcat Question

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by D, Dec 31, 2005.

1. D

D Well-Known Member

I am going to start predator hunting heavy in the next few days. How would I freeze a bobcat if I kill one? I want to save it so I can mount it later when I get the $$ saved up? Thanks guys.

2. Hilltop

Hilltop Moderator-Muzzleloading

I think I would put it someplace very cold.....maybe a freezer??

3. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

:biggrin:Yep that's what I'd do too. Them freezers work great for freezing things.
    I'd skin it out, scrape all the excess fat/meat off, turn the hide inside out and put it in a trash bag, then put it in one of them there freezers.

4. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    I put mine in a heavy garbage bag and froze it. When I got ready to take it to the taxidermist, I took it bag and all.

ETA: Since I read HFH's post, I put the whole cat in the bag.

5. Hill Farm Hunter

So the taxidermist let the cat out of the bag?:biggrin:

6. junior

junior Account Suspended

freeze it whole do not gut it or anything for a better mount ,this is what the taxidermist told me to do and keep it blood free as possible ,tough part its going to cost me 400.oo dollars:smack:

7. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Archers at Imboden did mine for $250 and I am VERY pleased!! Go by and check 'em out.

8. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    10,000 comedians looking for work and HFH is trying to be funny... :smack: :biggrin:

9. Hilltop

That's right "Mr. C". We give "D" some straight honest advice and "HFH" makes a joke of it!

10. junior

junior Account Suspended

thanks mr chitlin ill do just that its close to my cabin anyway :biggrin:

11. Hilltop

Did Archers freeze or mount your cat for $250 ???

12. D

D Well-Known Member

You think that would work....:smack: I was thinking of shipping it to the North pole having Santa put it in a shoe box out side for me!:cool:

There is always a wise guy just waiting to type something like that in.

Momma always said better a smart*** than a dumb***:thumb:

13. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Thawed it... :smack:

I couldn't afford for them to mount it too... :biggrin:

14. Hill Farm Hunter

Wish I had known that last year. Everyone told me $350 to $400 and I said to heck with it. I ever bow kill another bobcat I reckon it can go to Imboden.

15. ODC

ODC Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion for anyone who might want to have a bobcat mounted....

Freeze it whole. Do not skin it out. Reason for this there are many diffrent mounting postions you can use to mount a cat. If you skin it like you would a deer....down the gut area and you want a mount that has the cat reaching up and out toward a bird or something...the belly will be showing and the stitching may not be so easy to hide. Also its best to let a the taxidermist do this as he/she may have certain ways they like the legs cut....so it can fit over the cat form.

So if you ever think you want to mount a cat go to you taxidermist and ask them how you should take care of the cat after the kill.

Most skilled taxidermist can fix most knife slip ups but it will cost you more money for them to do it. Best to ask the taxidermist and save the money!:biggrin:

I should add this goes for fox, racoons, and other small mammals

16. .270Win

.270Win Super Moderator<br>Forum Sponsor<br>'07 Deer Hunti

I have seen very few bobcat mounts that I would consider "exceptionally nice". I don't know squat about taxidermy, but I do know what a living breathing bobcat looks like. It must be exceptionally hard to get the eyes set correctly on bobcats. Most I've seen have looked "cross-eyed" or some other problem with the eyes. Very few actually look like they are alive. Most other critter mounts seem to come out pretty much lifelike, but there's just something about bobcats that obviously makes them difficult.

Any taxidermists on here care to comment? I've always wondered why most bobcat mounts don't look as good as other types of animals.

.270Win

17. Hilltop

Even live bobcats look "goofy" in the eyes to me. I would have a bobcat mounted and/or positioned so you don't see both eyes or at least not mounted where the face is viewed straight on.

18. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

eyes

I have to agree on the facial (eye) expression. If the taxidermist does not get a realistic look to the facial area, the whole mount is worthless. I have read where the competition guys say a cats eye is supposed to be canted 10 degrees inward and 10 degrees upward. I dont know if I do the 10 degree thing right or not, i just adjust them in my clay until i get that "cat" look that makes me satisfied. Another thing to look for in any lifesize mammal mount is to see if the feet are overstuffed, the ears are sharp and clean and if the nose is shriveled. These details DO make the difference between a $200 dollar cat and a $400 dollar cat. Oh, and one last thing, the quality of the glass eye used!

19. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

I’m with you on this one. I have never seen a good cat mount. Every cat I have ever seen mounted looks bad. Even the best taxidermist I know can not get cats to look good. Someone show me a picture of a good bob cat mount, because I would like to take that taxidermist a cat to do for me.

20. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

Here's what one will look like if you put it in one of those freezer things.:smack:
    [​IMG]
    Don't let us give you a hard time. Just put him in the freezer in two or three bags and don't cut on it.:thumb: