BOB Stuff to Make Life A lot Easier

Discussion in 'Survival Skills and Techniques' started by FroMan, Apr 11, 2020.

1. I’ve had plenty of time to sit around and ponder...

I think there are definitely lightweight pieces that could make life bookoos easier in TEOTWAWKI.

4 main needs: Shelter. Water. Food. Fire.

Mylar Blanket (shelter, warmth, signaling)
    Pin-on Compass (landnav)
    Ferrocium Rod/Striker (warmth, cooking, water purification)
    Lifestraw (water)
    Paracord Bracelet (cordage)
    Fishing Yoyo (food)
    Shemagh (water absorption, concealment, protection)

I didn’t list any majors like a good knife, just thinking through peripherals that might be overlooked, but pay themselves off quickly.

whetstone likes this.
  2. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

Bic lighter. Two or three of them in Ziploc bags. I've started many a fire in the rain with no more tender than a little pine knot and a lighter.

Ferro rod is cool, but it's like long-term survival cool. If I need a fire Right Now, give me a butane lighter. Even better would be a little torch.

3. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Replace the Lifestraw with a Sawyers Mini. Much more versatile for just a few dollars more.

paxcolt, mattscraft and FroMan like this.
  4. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Toilet paper in zip lock bags.

Duct tape. Wrap it around the Biclighters several times for portability and saving space. Can be used to fix holes in stuff including holes in you (at least temporarily).

5. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I make a flat roll of duct tape and it stows easily. It is a good idea to wrap around the lighter as well.

One thing I need to add to mine is a good set of leather gloves to avoid hot, cold, and sharp!

whetstone and FroMan like this.
  6. mattscraft

mattscraft Well-Known Member

Seconding this. Most folks who do long distance hiking use the sawyer as it allows you to either drink from a source or create water to be stored.

Also in a addition to the lighter that's been mentioned above, you can soak cotton balls in petroleum jelly for an excellent firestarter. I store some in those little containers that hold travel advil.

I usually carry a small first aid kit with me as well that includes plenty of gauze, a roll of ace bandage, alcohol pads, neosporin, athletic tape and/or ductape, moleskin, butterfly bandages, superglue, tweezers, painkillers, and a couple of other small things that came with it. It's pretty light and I usually have it with me, and it's come in handy a handful of times for either myself or other people.

Maybe less for a BOB, but I also usually carry a boat whistle with me when I'm hiking/out in the woods. It's loud as heck and requires little effort to use, figure it might be useful if I ever get lost lost.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    FroMan and JB Weld like this.
  7. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Them little , cheap candles come in handy for fire-starting - too . Yeah , try to carry 5 er 6 lighters . That's just going on WMA - hunting .

FroMan and JB Weld like this.
  8. conwayhntr

conwayhntr Well-Known Member

Conway
    I always carry a Headlamp with extra set of AAA batteries, a Fox 40 whistle, bic lighter, and Gerber dime multi-tool. Even on day hikes.

FroMan, mattscraft and JB Weld like this.
  9. Grizzly16

Grizzly16 Well-Known Member

A bottle of mio energy juice, dry packs of energy mix or some instant coffee packs. Going through SHTF without caffeine just seems extra silly.

Or if you needed a little boost to keep watch at night or hike a little longer. Light weight and WELL worth it for a "comfort" thing.

whetstone, FroMan, TJKRide and 2 others like this.
  10. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Conway
    A quality tourniquet or 2 (CAT-T or SOFTT-W) and the training on proper use. Preferably carried on your person in a position easy to access. The second one can go in the bag.

Agreed on Sawyer Mini over the Lifestraw. Add in a bladder for storing a little water after filtering.

FroMan likes this.
  11. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

NWA
    duct tape also can be used to start your fire. It stinks but burns really well, even when wet!

TJKRide and whetstone like this.
  12. ouachitamac

ouachitamac Well-Known Member

rape whistle... lol reminded me of the movie "the other guys."

13. headhunter_60

headhunter_60 Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

Use an old pill bottle and put fishing line/hooks/flies in.