Boat motor water spray

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by easton, Nov 26, 2012.

1. easton

easton Well-Known Member

I've got a 1648 WE with a dt25 and tilt trim. It sprays water all on my back when running full throttle. It's spraying a rooster tail out each side of the motor. Has anybody had this problem before?

2. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

When I had a fish finder back there I got a lot of spray.

3. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

Make sure the motor is centered, and then check the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the boat.

4. easton

easton Well-Known Member

No fish finder on this one. The motor is centered and the cav plate is a hair above the bottom of the boat.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

I have the same set-up and do have a rooster tail on both sides but no spray on me.

6. easton

easton Well-Known Member

My motor will nearly be covered in water

7. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

Sounds like the bottom of your trim plate is catching water and throwing it back up on you. Have seen it happen. If that's the case, you can make a plate to block it off

8. easton

easton Well-Known Member

What exactly are you calling my trim plate?

9. riverbum410

riverbum410 Well-Known Member

my motor does the same thing before I trim it up. the spray you are seeing coming off the sides of the motor is the water shooting on the cav plate. And to answer your question, the cav plate is the plate right above your prop. either trim out your motor more or move it up a little higher and it will fix the problem.

10. easton

easton Well-Known Member

I know what the cav plate is just wasnt sure if thats what he was calling my trim plate or if he was referring to the actual trim bracket on my trim.

11. easton

easton Well-Known Member

I can trim it all the way before it starts to blow out and it still sprays water so i will try to raise it and c what happens.

12. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

If you like the way it runs now put some kind of plate to block the spray off like the other poster said. Chances are though if something is dragging to throw water on you it is slowing your boat down.

13. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

Exactly this is my opinion. I am referring to your cmc actually catching water with the bottom of the rear plate that you motor is actually attached to. It can be known to drag in the water if it is mounted low enough, and it will create major drag and spray.

14. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

I had a spray problem when mine was mounted too high, try some different pin locations as well. I know you have tilt and trim, but depending where your pin's set you could increase the trim operating time or decrease it. I have the same set up WE 1648 w/ dt25. mine rooster tail's when trimmed up but doesn't get me wet since I lowered the motor 1". My cavatation plate is flush with the bottom of the boat.

15. easton

easton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]. This is how my cmc is mounted. How does that compare to yalls? Is it to high or low?

16. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

thats' about were mine's mounted, that center part were the two plates come together is kinda flush with transom. I've got a pt35(which may be alittle different if you have a pt130 and have long transom. I can take a pic if you want of mine and the cavation plate. It be tomorrow before I could post it.

17. easton

easton Well-Known Member

Ive got a pt35 with a short transom. A pic to compare would be nice. Thanks.

18. Razorback123

Razorback123 Super Member<br>The Original BBDH

easton,

I have an edge with pt35 and a yamaha, i noticed that mine ran the best when mounted on the second pin hole closest to the transom, Idk if it would be the best hole for yours but mine rooster tails when trimmed up but it doesnt get any water on me. I think it might be the angle of your motor? What pin do you have yours set on? I know that it is a different boat and motor but i figure that it is the same concept? Just throwin that out there.

19. easton

easton Well-Known Member

Ive got it on the bottom pin hole. Ive tried the next pin hole up but didnt run it long enough to see how much water spray it was throwing up. I will run it this week end and c if it makes a diff. How do u like that edge?