Boat Lights

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by hunterb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. hunterb

hunterb Well-Known Member

Hey guys, im curious...why is it that on all public waterways a boat is required to have a red/green front light and a clear one in the back, but I cant recall ever seeing a duck boat with anything but a spotlight??:head: Im not trying to say one is legal and one aint. I spend alot of the year in a bass boat and always run my lights when its dark, but if im duck huntin we just use a spotlight. I know how sensitive yall can be on here about legal matters :cool: so im not trying to step on anyones feet. Just an honest question.

2. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

There is a lot of gray area, but, you are supposed to run nav lights on a "navigable" waterway. i.e. the Arkansas river, Saline river, etc. Bayou meto is apparently not considered navigable bc you wont see a red and green there. If you do that means they are from minnesota :fit:

3. hunterb

hunterb Well-Known Member

Thats kinda what I thought. Went to Arkansas River @ Willow Beach the other day and saw at least 15 duck boats with no running lights. That is what got me thinking.

4. Black OpsThe legend

Black OpsThe legend Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>www.blackopsduckcalls.c

I may be wrong but I think if it's under a 16 foot boat they arent required in certain situations

5. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

I don't have them on my boat yet and i still hunt the river since it's right down the road. Maybe that's one thing that the agfc isnt foaming at the mouth to bust you over. :shrug:

6. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

You right about the G&F, not a big deal to them for the most part, but don't get checked by a Fed on waters they have juristiction over and not have all the bells & whistles one is suppose to have, a ticket is for sure.

7. OughtSix

OughtSix Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

If you can't seem my spotlight, you aren't gonna see my little red and green light...:rolleyes:

8. salinebeast

salinebeast Well-Known Member

You are required to use your running lights on all federal waters and Navigable Waterways. Saline River is not a navigable waterway but I would still want to run my lights when on it just for safety sake.

9. TyKyt

TyKyt Well-Known Member

I got a good chewing one year when bowfishing out of a 1548 for not having lights other than the spotlight and all four of the shooting lights...that was on a lake tho.

10. Dago

Dago Member

NEA
    Traditional boat lights are required only on federally controlled waters (navigable rivers, lakes, etc.) On other waterways Arkansas law is . . .

"When in operation during hours of darkness on state-controlled waters, a motorboat's lighting shall be sufficient to make the motorboat's presence and location known to any and all other vessels within a reasonable distance."